Thread: Halloween and werewolves

Halloween and werewolves

As Halloween approaches, there is always talk of witches, the subject of the Salem Witch Trials comes up again, etc. But another monster also associated with Halloween, but much less commonly brought up is the werewolf. The (hopefully) mythological creature that converts from human to ferocious beast at full moon has been the subject of many stories and movies. Few people know that through the ages, some unfortunate individuals were charged with "werewolfery." One of the most famous of these defendants was Peter Stumpf, also known as the Werewolf of Bedburg.

His trial received international attention and pamphlets describing the trial and execution circulated in several languages and throughout several countries.

Peter Stumpf was born about 1535 and became a wealthy farmer in the area of Bedburg Germany. In the 1589, Peter Stumpf was charged with being a werewolf, a serial killer, cannibal, having incest and various other crimes. He confessed to being a werewolf from age 12 on without even being tortured. When tortured on the rack. he related some terrible crimes, such as killing two pregnant women so he could eat their hearts, which he described as tasty morsels. He confessed to killing and gorging himself on the blood and flesh of 14 children and women, as well as various livestock over a period of 25 years. One of those children was his own son, whose brain he devoured during a full moon. In addition to incest, he claimed to have lain with a succubus sent to him by the Devil.

He, his daughter and mistress were found guilty and condemned to death. His daughter and mistress were skinned alive and then strangled. (presumable to stop their screaming) On October 31, 1589, (Halloween) Peter was tied to a wheel in the town square, red hot tongs were used to rip pieces of flesh from his body ten times, then one by one his arms and legs were severed from his body. As each one was removed the bones were broken, on the thought that he would be unable to climb out of his grave with broken limbs. Lastly he was beheaded. A pole was erected on the town square. a carved wooden wolf was placed on top the pole and Peter's head placed upon a spike on top the wolf.

I wonder if this is the origin of the crude custom of referring to amputees as "stumpy".

Man, what a story. When I read things like this, I say to myself "What were they thinking?"
    And then I think "What are we doing today that's going to look just as terrible 500 years from now?"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hanged, Drawn , and Quartered was a rough one , too. But ,we must remember they had no Television.

Why we don't have "LIKE" button?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Hanged, Drawn , and Quartered was a rough one , too. But ,we must remember they had no Television.