Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seymour Federal Bar

Blog Entries

Seymour Federal Bar

This is a Thomas Seymour, federal style bar I built from plans in “building 18th century American furniture” by Glenn Huey. If you like the period style, highly recommend this book as the plans, construction descriptions and color photos are all excellent. In addition, include some more challenging projects as well.

This particular piece is “flashier“ than my usual taste, but I’ve built several federal style pieces and I’m hoping this one blends in.

Anyway, bar has been sitting in the shop covered with tarps for a couple years because we had no place to put it. Now that we’ve moved, it finally has made it into the house. Thought I would share a few pics. I think I posted a build thread with photos/descriptions on the Andrew fall haven when I built this piece couple years ago – might still be available if you’re interested?
    FA79F57B-04A0-4583-A0D1-AF9970FFC78C.jpg100CCAED-84D5-45C7-A020-258B536DC481.jpgEB376F36-D2E4-4906-97B9-0E96A0C83C3C.jpg30685642-D9E8-4D30-898F-DACA46AACB95.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 10-30-2022 at 2:39 PM.

That is a masterpiece Mike...and it really shines in the new location. I do not think I have seen that top on the case before. It takes the piece over the top.

Wonderful execution with this piece!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow Mike. Just wow!
    You are so prolific - always cranking out more beautiful work.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Sometimes it takes a long time to , pass the bar. I would be parked there a lot. Mike, if you can’t find some of your tools ,they are in that
    old tool box under that beautiful example of good “ horizontal and vertical hold”.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Sometimes it takes a long time to , pass the bar. I would be parked there a lot. Mike, if you can’t find some of your tools ,they are in that
    old tool box under that beautiful example of good “ horizontal and vertical hold”.
    Mel, probably only a few of us of an age who remember those “vertical /horizontal hold bars” from old TV’s! Looking at the high definition picture we get these days on our home TV, I really appreciate how this technology has improved over the years!

Simply a fantastic and beautifully produced project! What's not to like about an excellent execution with attention to detail after detail? Nicely done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wow Mike. Just wow!
    You are so prolific - always cranking out more beautiful work.
    Thanks Fredrick, you're too kind. I actually built this piece a couple years ago but never got the granite top because there was no place to put it in our last house so it was left in the garage covered with a tarp. We just moved to new empty nester house so I finally got approval from the Boss to move it into the house. Eventually I hope to get around to organizing and stocking with some quality whiskey, but that's gonna have to wait until we empty a lot more boxes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    That is a masterpiece Mike...and it really shines in the new location. I do not think I have seen that top on the case before. It takes the piece over the top.
    thanks Mark, means a lot coming from you- I'm big fan of your work! someday I'd like to try building chairs, like the beautiful Queen Anne you just posted, but I'm nervous about all the curves- I'm better with straight, level and plum!

Blog Entries
    here's link to the build thread for this project for anyone interested

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....6-Lots-of-Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Mel, probably only a few of us of an age who remember those “vertical /horizontal hold bars” from old TV’s! Looking at the high definition picture we get these days on our home TV, I really appreciate how this technology has improved over the years!
    Yeah I can remember as a kid asking my Father to make me something like maybe a spinning barrel that could keep same speed as vertical
    screen travel aka VST. That was when we didn’t even have a TV and I had to watch Howdy Doody at Grandma’s house. He declined , but
    bought a TV.

A work of art, Mike. Excellent veneer work. I know what it takes, and right there is more than a few hours, a lot of patience, and if I were a guessing man, I’d guess a few moments of “just walk away for awhile”!.

When an interior designer (spouse or not) says it belongs in the house, you have every right to be proud.

Also noticed the chest underneath. Nice work…my wife is a fan of seashells, so I’m going to have to get my carving up to speed.

Blog Entries
    Phil, moving from larger to smaller house as empty nesters, turns out we have waaaay to much stuff!!! The sea chest under the bar is example of piece we have nowhere to put. Currently my home office is filled with maybe a dozen chests/boxes/display cases that realistically we need to get rid of. I appreciate any suggestions!!!

MIke,

Great to see, especially since I missed your build thread somehow. Masterful as always! Hope the new house is treating you well and that you got a shop upgrade out of the deal!

best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    In the move we went from a three car garage where I had basically shop space equivalent to one car garage, into a two-car garage in the new house. As a consequence of had to make some hard decisions about what core state tools stay in the shop, what tools go on wheels and what ends up outside covered in plastic, at least for now. There's any interest am happy to post a thread – let me know?

Cheers, Mike