Thread: Harvey G-700 vs Oneida V-3000

Harvey G-700 vs Oneida V-3000

I am about to pull the trigger on my new dust collection system and have been on the fence about these 2 units. I really like the packaging of the G-700, and if it has the auto clean features of the G-800 I would buy it in a heartbeat. I cant justify the price of the G-800.

Has anyone experienced both G-700 and V-3000 units? The G-700 will be almost 1k less than the V-3000, but the CFM just seems so much lower. I've seen mixed reviews, with some people actually selling the G-700 to upgrade to to a vertical cyclone.

So, is the G-700 enough power for permanent ductwork to multiple tools?
    How is the lifespan of the filters?
    How often are you having to clean the filters ?
    If you bought one of theses, have you regretted not going to the other?

This is a big purchase and I don't want to have any regrets. Maybe I am wrong, but the V-3000 seems like an overall more powerful machine in not quite as nice of a package.

Yeah, the V3000 is able to pull just about twice as much CFM as the G700. But your basically comparing a 2HP 12" impeller to a 3HP 15" impeller. The additional 3" give you a circle area that is 55% larger and I'm sure the impeller fins on the V3000 are taller as well.

The main reason to get a G700 is the size and function/features. In another thread, I describe the G700 as taking up the same amount of space as a smallish cabinet saw, which means you still have a lot of wall space for tool hanging / shelving. That and the ability to turn down the speed for noise and suction give the G700 a nicer result. Additionally, it's somewhat mobile with caster wheels to move the dust collector around. Though, it is much easier to clog the filters on the G700 due to the design of the machine.

The V3000 takes up almost the same amount of floor space, but requires about 8.5-9 feet of ceiling height for the cyclone itself. If you are looking at a permanent duct work installation with adjustment blast gates, I would go with the V3000. It will yield significantly superior performance results.

If you choose V3000, I would highly recommend the "Freestanding Leg Kit" version (unless you have concrete walls). On these cyclones, when the dust collector or ducting has contact with your wall, it will create wall resonances in the 40-60hz range (this is the natural resonance from the movement of the impeller and air pressures). It basically turns the wall into a subwoofer and generates loud bass frequencies that increase the noise and significantly increases the fatigue to your hearing and body.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 10-29-2022 at 6:03 PM.

I chose the G700 over getting another cyclone for my new shop building. I like the innovative design and it's space efficient...mine will be living "under" my compressor in the new shop. That said, all of the Oneida systems I've owned have been excellent. Even the "original" 1.5hp one I bought back in 2000 when I first put together a shop at our old property. While I outgrew it, it's still in use in a friend's shop after all these years. The V3000 has been around for awhile and is a competent system. Both systems you ask about are good machines...they are just "different" and their individual designs necessarily must have impact on your decsion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had the same dilemna about a year ago. And at the time, the two units were very close in price.

The only reason I didn't go with the G700 was configuration. My shop is small and has a doorway, utility hatch and a couple low windows. Anyway I tried to orient it would have blocked something.

That said, I'm very happy with my V3000. I got the stand, instead of the wall bracket and I was able to find a nice spot for it.

Oneida is made in America. Thats a good thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by George Waldner View Post
    Oneida is made in America. Thats a good thing, right?
    Yeah, but is that why the price rose $1500 in the past year?

Joshua, Prices rose on everything in the past year, USA made or otherwise. Procurement of raw materials remains a nightmare since the pandemic and when you can obtain it, the price for it will be double or triple the pre-pandemic amount. In general, I think the woodworking tool manufacturers have done a remarkable job of raising prices fairly when you consider material costs and wage pressures. I doubt the "Made in America" has much to do with it.

Guess I was trying to say if the OP could not decide between the two an American manufactured product might be the deciding factor.

I have no experience with the Harvey so can’t give you a direct comparison. I’ve had 2 Oneida cyclones and both have been great, so no hesitation recommending the V3000.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Anyone starting to look the V3000-smart that they just started listing?

Matt

I kinda mirror Jim’s thinking on DC’s. My wife and I are considering a move by our daughters family. That would require the loss of my 1000 sq ft shop. My requirement for the move would be a two car garage for my gear. That will be challenging in so many ways, but I have all ready decided that the form factor of the Harvey and the ability to put it under something is key to use the small space efficiently. I wonder how long it will take for Oneida and others to come up with a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    the form factor of the Harvey and the ability to put it under something is key to use the small space efficiently. I wonder how long it will take for Oneida and others to come up with a competitor.
    Are you expecting to have fixed ducting?
    I felt the harvey's front mount tended to compromise the otherwise compact form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Are you expecting to have fixed ducting?
    I felt the harvey's front mount tended to compromise the otherwise compact form factor.
    It does have considerations for placement for sure. For me, I'm starting with a clean slate with a new building, so that was not an issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Anyone starting to look the V3000-smart that they just started listing?

Matt
    VFD on the Smart dust collectors is a big difference. It covers a much wider range of conditions. It pulls a lot more air through a 4” port. I have the 5hp Smart Dust Gorilla.