Thread: Drawer Slide vs Cabinet Door

Drawer Slide vs Cabinet Door

Greetings,
    I built some cabinets for the wife and ran into a snag at the end of the project. The drawers work well on the slides, no problem there. The issue came when I installed the doors. I used Blum 38N hinges, partial 1/2” overlay. When the doors are open, they protrude slightly into the cabinet frame opening. Then the drawer slide cannot make it past the door.

i have three options (I think).
    1. Trim the door to allow the slide to pass
    2. Inset the hinge slightly in the frame. I’d worry about having enough adjustment left to close the center gap. This is a two door cabinet.
    3. Use a different Blum hinge, but which one?

lm looking for advice from the learned hands of the Creek. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let the slide into the side of the pull-out?

The usual design for pullouts is to make the pullout narrow enough to clear the door, and fasten spacers to the cabinet wall to reach out to where the drawer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Let the slide into the side of the pull-out?
    Possible right answer. thanks.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The usual design for pullouts is to make the pullout narrow enough to clear the door, and fasten spacers to the cabinet wall to reach out to where the drawer is.
    I have learned a lesson. My first cabinet job. Thanks for the input.

Change the hinges. They make hinges specifically for this situation. That make it a 5 minute fix

Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    Greetings,
    I built some cabinets for the wife and ran into a snag at the end of the project. The drawers work well on the slides, no problem there. The issue came when I installed the doors. I used Blum 38N hinges, partial 1/2” overlay. When the doors are open, they protrude slightly into the cabinet frame opening. Then the drawer slide cannot make it past the door.

i have three options (I think).
    1. Trim the door to allow the slide to pass
    2. Inset the hinge slightly in the frame. I’d worry about having enough adjustment left to close the center gap. This is a two door cabinet.
    3. Use a different Blum hinge, but which one?

lm looking for advice from the learned hands of the Creek. Thanks.

#3 get zero protrusion hinges like this:

https://www.wwhardware.com/blum-155-...hinges-b071t75

or

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/sa...UaAp8MEALw_wcB
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Change the hinges. They make hinges specifically for this situation. That make it a 5 minute fix
    not that attach to a frame.

you could use a euro type hinge and mounting plate on a block and get there, but it’s more than a 5 min fix.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 10-30-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Unfortunately the bulkiness of the part of the hinge that mounts on the door frame will not work in my situation. The drawer box will hit it I believe.

Unfortunately the bulkiness of the part of the hinge that mounts on the door frame will not work in my situation. The drawer box will hit it I believe.

unless you move the drawer above / below the hinges. Unfortunately there is no quick fix by simply swapping out a hinge.

If the draw box is in line with the hinge, you might have an issue and will need to remake the drawer and put spacers in between the side of the cabinet and the drawer slide to make the drawer fit between the hinges.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think it is fair to say the OP probably knows this now.