Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop motor comparison

Sawstop motor comparison

Hello... sorry to add to the SS threads but I would like to ask a favor to those who have a recent purchase of the 3HP PCS and the 3HP ICS.

Can you take a photo of your motor plate tag and either post it here or PM me with the info? Thanks.

If you're curious, I just want to compare the actual motors on these saws side by side. I'm in the market for the PCS but have a deal through my supplier on the ICS. In all reality the PCS is all I need and I know that. Comparing what is advertised between the two saws I'm not convinced the 3HP ICS version is worth the extra $ over the PCS version for my needs. However, if I compare the motors and there is much of a difference, it may help me justify the extra cash.

If someone has already done this, please share. I searched the threads but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Nick

PCS, 3HP purchased December 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think you are going to see any differences in the 3HP motor between the PCS and ICS models. I believe it would be the same exact motor. The main difference is in the depth of the table (PCS depth is 27" deep, ICS is 30" deep) and the size and weight/construction of the base and trunnion system (i.e. for a 3HP 52" saw, PCS is 431 lbs, ICS is 685 lbs).

On the PCS, the motor is mounted on the left of the machine and you a max size of 3HP. On the ICS, the motor is mounted on the right side and allows for up to a giant 7.5HP motor. The whole base and trunnion assembly of the ICS needs to be built larger and more sturdy to support the heavier 7.5HP motor. I would say that if you are happy with a 3HP result, the PCS is the more "bang for the buck" choice.

For example, a 3HP Balder motor comes in at 71 lbs. A larger 7.5 HP motor is in the 117 lbs range.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 10-28-2022 at 9:31 PM.

Just look up the replacement part #s for the motors to see if they're different. Or call sawstop and ask them, they are helpful.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Thank you, Myles!

Well, that will be useful information also. However, the part numbers are different and SS couldn't answer my question.
    Last edited by Nick Lazz; 10-29-2022 at 8:01 AM.

https://www.sawstopstore.com/product...hz-tefc-motor/

https://www.sawstopstore.com/product...otor-pcs31230/

here are links to the parts if that helps at all. Weight is slightly different and they indicate not compatible with other saws. Also, given the different mounting sides could they possibly be wound to spin opposite directions too?

I've used both, couldn't tell a difference in the motors. The table size on the ICS was definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Hello... sorry to add to the SS threads but I would like to ask a favor to those who have a recent purchase of the 3HP PCS and the 3HP ICS.

Can you take a photo of your motor plate tag and either post it here or PM me with the info? Thanks.

If you're curious, I just want to compare the actual motors on these saws side by side. I'm in the market for the PCS but have a deal through my supplier on the ICS. In all reality the PCS is all I need and I know that. Comparing what is advertised between the two saws I'm not convinced the 3HP ICS version is worth the extra $ over the PCS version for my needs. However, if I compare the motors and there is much of a difference, it may help me justify the extra cash.

If someone has already done this, please share. I searched the threads but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Nick
    The difference is not in the motor. While the motor might be a different part number due to mounting brackets, etc. a 3hp is a 3hp. The ICS is a heavier duty machine and that is what your paying more for. 3hp is 3hp and while there are different quality motors in general, from a power output standpoint it's apples to apples.

I don't suspect sawstop uses low quality motors.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I have a 5HP ICS, but I don't really need it. Only have it because of good luck at an auction.

But as others said, I doubt there's any difference in motor performance if you're comparing 3HP in both. The ICS is definitely built like a tank, but for my purposes the only real benefit is the extra 3" on the table. If I were buying retail, not sure it would be worth the extra cash. I'd rather take that money and put it into a cast iron router extension, overarm dust collection, etc.

I purchased the 3HP PCS and had it loaded onto my trailer . While strapping it down I was talking to the person who had set it onto the trailer I asked him about the differences of the ICS to the PCS and after a couple of minutes we unloaded the PCS and I came home with a 3 HP ICS and have never looked back on that decision . The ICS is solid as a rock , a joy to use !

Blog Entries
    Well, that will be useful information also. However, the part numbers are different and SS couldn't answer my question.

Once again my faith in humanity is beaten down. Soon, no one will know anything about anything they supposedly know about anymore
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Once again my faith in humanity is beaten down. Soon, no one will know anything about anything they supposedly know about anymore
    It's a rare company that hires experts or even trains someone that sits at a customer support desk.

Well thanks for all the input. Why does this matter? It doesn't really...To me it's just relative.. the motors may very well be the same. I have a 3hp saw now, with a Leeson motor. But 3hp motors are not all the same. In fact many of these companies have proprietary motors and they have a rating called 'saw duty'. No big deal.. but if the ICS motor was different and the math proved it, well it might be worth it to me to take a closer look. I just wanted to see if the motors put out different actual hp.

Carry on..

Well thanks for all the input. Why does this matter? It doesn't really...To me it's just relative.. the motors may very well be the same. I have a 3hp saw now, with a Leeson motor. But 3hp motors are not all the same. In fact many of these companies have proprietary motors and they have a rating called 'saw duty'. No big deal.. but if the ICS motor was different and the math proved it, well it might be worth it to me to take a closer look. I just wanted to see if the motors put out different actual hp.

Carry on..
    There's an old thread with the info on the OEM manufacturer. If it's still accurate, and you wanted the info, I suspect you'd have to go to the source.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....made-in-Taiwan