Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Mini split installation for a house

That's my concern as well, Dwayne. The protection aspect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This week the electrical inspector finally came out and looked, and approved the installation with the UF exposed. It is run along the wall, and for a short distance, so it's not entirely vulnerable, but not as protected as it could be. The inspector had COVID for a couple of weeks and was not able to work till he got some energy back, which is why it took a little while for the inspection to be done.

How does it work in the cold weather? Mine is struggling today 4 degrees F outside with a 10 mph wind and its heating a 12x20 glass on 3 sides *thermal pane porch.

Nope exposed UF like that would never be approved here, same as Romex- NM outside never.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, the 3rd and 4th generation Mr Cool units are "good" down to -13ºF.
    --

The 18k unit we put in for my Mother's suite cooled about 7,000 sq. ft. through the hot season, so I decided to try it for heating. It's only gotten down into the high 20's a couple of nights, but we haven't needed to turn on any other heat.

I am using a couple of fans to keep it circulating through the rest of the house. The way our house is laid out, with the dog complex across the back, it goes in a big circle. She likes 74 in cold weather, but the rest of the house hasn't gone below 71, which is fine with us and the dogs.

I remain impressed with the mini-split. It's what I consider an offbrand - Chinese made Tosot, but after getting over it losing a charge put in by a pro, it's done perfectly. I had to get one on very short notice-same day-and was the only one in stock a our local HVAC supplier.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-18-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Today's inverter designs are surprisingly efficient, even at the margins of their operating conditions. So I'm not surprised at what you said, Tom.
    --

I haven't run mine below the mid 20s, and mostly only when the outside is in the mid 30s or higher. The wood stove heats the house nicely on colder days, and those are mostly what we've been having since I put it in.

My glassed in porch (12x20) the thermal pane has a R value of perhaps 3 and If I pull the drapes at night the Mini does an ok job down to -10 or so. But when the wind is blowing and no solar gain its a tough one. Daytime not a problem but its a poor application for a heat pump but still the best for us. If it was wood frame enclosed and had R20 insulation it would not be an issue. We love the views out to yard, bird feeders and all.

FWIW HD's DoD has mini splits today, including some Mr Cool, no idea if they're good prices.

Special Buy Of The Day: Find The Deal Of The Day at The Home Depot
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 12-22-2022 at 9:17 AM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    My glassed in porch (12x20) the thermal pane has a R value of perhaps 3 and If I pull the drapes at night the Mini does an ok job down to -10 or so. But when the wind is blowing and no solar gain its a tough one. Daytime not a problem but its a poor application for a heat pump but still the best for us. If it was wood frame enclosed and had R20 insulation it would not be an issue. We love the views out to yard, bird feeders and all.
    Well its -9 or -12 with winds now the wind chill is like -39F. Wind blowing directly into the outside unit and since the Mini has no back up heat, now its up to space heaters to keep it 45 F inside. I should have installed that Natural gas space heater!!

Fortunately, it shouldn't stay that cold too long as the "bombe" is moving eastward bringing it's holiday joy to us "as we speak"...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fortunately, it shouldn't stay that cold too long as the "bombe" is moving eastward bringing it's holiday joy to us "as we speak"...
    Yup its headed your way, it was in 2008 here in Iowa when it was that cold here before. My mini is starting to snap out of it now. Except for perhaps 5 days a year it does a great job and I knew that when it was installed.

EDIT What I did since the wind is bucking the discharge of the fan is pile up a few lawn chairs to block that wind. Seems to be helping it will work down to -10 but just can not handle a 30-40 mph wind blowing in its face! Air can still get out but the direct wind is slowed down.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-23-2022 at 5:14 PM.