Thread: praise to a mom/pop woodworking store, and also funny luck!

praise to a mom/pop woodworking store, and also funny luck!

I was building something for my daughter and when sanding it needed to sand in a corner that had a profile and a 5" ROS of course won't get into a corner, so I pulled out my old Milwaukee 1/4" sheet sander to get most of the corner sanding done. Of course this sander vibrates enough to shake by brain, let alone my hand or the piece I am working on. I decided it's time to order a Festool RTS 400. Sunday evening, I sent an e-mail to Brian@ Wood Werks supply, who's helped me in the past, to see if they had one in stock since it wasn't on their web page. Early Monday I get an e-mail back from Brian telling me that it's been backordered since July but my timing is perfect as there is one that is supposed to be delivered today (Monday) and it's not being held/sold yet. I responded that if it comes in, i'll take it. A few hours later I get another note from Brian that it did arrive in their shipment so he'll send me a paypal invoice, and also asked if I needed anything else such as sandpaper etc. I also had a $25.00 gift card they applied to this order for reporting a bug on their web site a while ago. (Very nice of them and very unexpected).

The Luck: Timing on my order to get the sander! And yes, I know someone else might have had it in stock, but I like to give the mom and pops the business.
    The praise: An amazing mom and pop store in Ohio that has customer service you will never get from the big stores. My first purchase from them was my SawStop and a few other orders of things since.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

There are still a few good small operators out there (tough business, IMHO) and it seems you have one there for sure. Congrats on the new sander!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You should buy a lottery ticket! I love Wood Werks and always stop by when I'm in the columbus area. Something always seems to follow me home. They are good people.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    You should buy a lottery ticket! I love Wood Werks and always stop by when I'm in the columbus area. Something always seems to follow me home. They are good people.
    Same here ! Would always stop there after the woodworking shows in Columbus.

They are good people. Employee owned. Woodwerks is just a couple miles from my home. It's my first stop for most everything except domestic lumber.

I do miss the Fall and Winter sales when they would bring a bunch of tool reps...
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 10-29-2022 at 9:44 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I took your advice and bought a poweball ticket but seems nobody one the 825m so I will buy another. Ironically the clerk at the lottory gave me back too much change, a $20 instead of a $10. I realized it before walking away and told him he gave me too much back. I felt it was bad karma to be buying a lottery ticket and keeping too much change. I still didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    They are good people. Employee owned. Woodwerks is just a couple miles from my home. It's my first stop for most everything except domestic lumber.

I do miss the Fall and Winter sales when they would bring a bunch of tool reps...
    You are lucky to have them so close. I am just about 500 miles from there and keep pondering if a road-trip is worth it.

There are a few left, thank goodness. Very few though.

Hartville Hardware is much closer than woodwerks, but next time I go down for “school” for work I plan on stopping on my way back through.
    Was going to this last time, but the whole fam came down for the week with me, and the kids were awful on the drive home. No stops except bathroom and food!

I was there once after Columbus woodworking show. I plan to stop again after the woodworking show next year.

Hartville tool sale is coming up on the 18th & 19th. Anyone fron northeast Ohio planning to go to either or both? I am planning on going to both.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I was there once after Columbus woodworking show. I plan to stop again after the woodworking show next year.

Hartville tool sale is coming up on the 18th & 19th. Anyone fron northeast Ohio planning to go to either or both? I am planning on going to both.
    I usually try to hit the Hartville sale. My wife's having some surgery that week so it will be a last minute decision. I usually try to go earlier in the week and avoid the big crowds, since they honor the prices all week, or at least have in the past. But that depends on whether or not they have a live demo that I want to see on the weekend. This time will also depend on how my wife is recovering.

The columbus WW show hasn't made my radar yet; will have to take a look.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Nice, in today's world nothing like great customer service ! I just checked Wood Werks website & will be ordering some blades, I wasn't familiar with WW.

I usually try to go earlier in the week and avoid the big crowds, since they honor the prices all week, or at least have in the past.
    Did not know that!
    I’ve never been, mostly because I work fri and sat. Last couple years hasnt really been anything in the ad that has piqued my interest.
    This year probably won’t be buying anything regardless, I’ve got to watch my pennies pretty closely right now.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    ...Hartville tool sale is coming up on the 18th & 19th....
    Have never been, but I've been meaning to get there. Unfortunately, not in the cards for me this year.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher