Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What creature is this

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I'm going to go in a different direction and say fisher based on firsthand experience of living with them on my property and hearing them all summer long.
    Yes, I agree, my sister in Pennsylvania has one lurking and sounds just like that. They are usually in the northeast but they have been spotted in the mountains of Tennessee.
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 10-27-2022 at 11:48 AM.

I’d go with Fisher as well. At our MA home we backed up to a wetland area and were serenaded by them. Given the dog was unwilling to go out it had to be something strong.

This Fisher sounds pretty close! (Never heard of a Fisher till today!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed learning about the Fisher as well!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    This Fisher sounds pretty close! (Never heard of a Fisher ...
    New one for me too and I spent a fair amount of time as a teenager hiking/hunting the hills in SE Ohio.. Thanks for sharing that link.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

We don't have those here, but have heard Foxes making a very similar sound, maybe not quite that low pitched and scratchy, but that probably varies by individuals.

The best way to understand everything you need to know about fishers is that they actively hunt porcupines. They are ornery creatures.

Aliens....

Giorgio Tsoukalos issued a resounding yes to this answer....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Think it's a Fox. We've seen a couple of them, now and again, but never heard them, like this, in the six years we've lived in this house.

Our property is bordered on one side and the back by a cow farm. We know we have plenty of deer in the surrounding neighborhood, but have only seen one, on our property, in six years. I've heard cows and deer don't get along.

My two dogs, although small, will usually defend our property, but they wouldn't go out last night, but did plenty of growling inside the house.

Example of the Napoleon complex. This small Bull got over the farmer's fence and Scruffy wanted to bring home the Beef. He's limited by Invisible fence.

Is that BICHON chasing off a bull?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fox breeding season is upon us and their calling often sounds like a person with a hoarse cough out in the distance. We have foxes all over the place and have been hearing them for a couple weeks and they continue right up to about the end of November here. Drives our dogs crazy. Dogs are not usually afraid of foxes calling. Our dogs get really upset when coyotes are calling nearby. The shepherd wants to go tear a coyote a new one, but all the other four hide.

I never heard anything like the first couple sounds, the last sounded like a fox.

Blog Entries
    We have a Family out at the woodlot most years. The animal whisperer (not me) got close once.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q5IxnaBUJOA?feature=share
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Is that BICHON chasing off a bull?
    We're not quite sure what breed he is, Maltese, Bichon, mutt. He was a rescue, origin unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    We're not quite sure what breed he is, Maltese, Bichon, mutt. He was a rescue, origin unknown.
    Our grand dog is Weechon (as far as we know). West Highland Tarrier Bichon cross. He is a love!

Photo on 10-20-22 at 9.00 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Possibly the dreaded Cavoonviper

Sounds like a Grey Fox to me. We have a lot of them where I live. Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains in Calif.