Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What creature is this

What creature is this

Heard this noise for about 15 minutes at the bottom of my yard around 8:00pm.

My dog got all agitated and refused to go outside.

Turn up your volume.

After listening to it a few times I'm thinking it's a deer that's upset about something.

Some kind of bird maybe?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    After listening to it a few times I'm thinking it's a deer that's upset about something.

Hunting Season?

Sounds like a deer blowing. Deer will blow like that when they are agitated, trying to figure out what you are, or not sure of what they perceive as danger. Many times it can be a warning of potential danger. I've had them wind me in a stand and do that if they don't know what I am, trying to get me to move so they can identify what they are seeing.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    I think it is a fox.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think it is a deer. I used to hunt back in the day and heard it quite a few times while observing deer.

Blog Entries
    The pitch is higher than deer sounds I hear and the last sound is very fox like. There are lots of sound clips and videos of both on the web. Listening again with headphones...
    Best Regards, Maurice

Not quite clear enough to tell. Deer, Fox, or maybe even a Bobcat. Foxes make some really strange noises. We live in the edge of several hundred acres of woods, have two herds of Deer, and Foxes live on both sides of us. We had a Bobcat that lived at our rock quarry for a number of years until she got hit by a car, and she used to talk to us when we had campfires there.

Blog Entries
    I don't know but it gave me flashbacks to the weird cat woman who lived down the street when I was a kid. Dang!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Owls make weird screeches like that too.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Sounds like a bobcat to me. Do you live on the edge of Lenanon in or near a substantial forest or wildland reserve area?

I"ve also heard cornered racoons make a similar scream, but that's not their usual distress shout.

Edited to Add: After listening again, I have to agree with those suggesting a fox.

As others have said, deer can make screams like that, but I've never heard one scream that didn't immediately turn and vacate the premises. Standing your ground and screaming isn't really a deer thing, in my experience, so I'd lean toward one of the predators.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 10-27-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Think it's a Fox. We've seen a couple of them, now and again, but never heard them, like this, in the six years we've lived in this house.

Our property is bordered on one side and the back by a cow farm. We know we have plenty of deer in the surrounding neighborhood, but have only seen one, on our property, in six years. I've heard cows and deer don't get along.

My two dogs, although small, will usually defend our property, but they wouldn't go out last night, but did plenty of growling inside the house.

Example of the Napoleon complex. This small Bull got over the farmer's fence and Scruffy wanted to bring home the Beef. He's limited by Invisible fence.

Closed captioning doesn’t help
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm going to go in a different direction and say fisher based on firsthand experience of living with them on my property and hearing them all summer long.