Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" Planer Feed Qestion - trouble feeding large boards

20" Planer Feed Qestion - trouble feeding large boards

I have a Laguna 20" Planer, one of the newer PX20 models, and have noticed it is having trouble feeding larger boards. Smaller pieces are fine, but I recently had to plane down some 10/4 ash that is 6" wide and 72" long. I have to push the boards through with a decent amount of pressure and then pull them out on the other side in order for it to feed. If I dont touch the board it wont move. Same goes for some 8/4 walnut that is similarly sized. Im taking a fairly small cut, maybe 1/32 or 1/16" max.

Is it normal to have to help feed boards of that size through a machine, or do I need to go in and make adjustments to the feed rollers? The machine is 5hp, but I have no relative experience with other planers of this size.
    Last edited by Sean Moore; 10-26-2022 at 9:48 PM.

No, you shouldn’t need to push and pull material through your planer.
    Those are not large material pieces you’re referring to. A 5hp planer should easily b handle them.
    Check the settings of your pressure rollers and feed rollers.
    These are jointed boards, correct?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It could be just low grade knives. I’ve seen it before. Some planers are sold with low grade knives that leave a lot of striations . If you see
    non -shiny wood surface and striation on newly planed wood,buy some T-1 or M2 knives and use the original junk on some free fine wood
    that is full of grit ,and perhaps, a nail or two.

And ensure that the tables are well waxed. Planers are sensitive to too much friction on the tables.

A late model like yours should have a manual available. Check bed rollers, in and out feed rollers and pressure bar.

Also, run the piece left, right and center. On some planers you need to raise the pressure bar while running a board.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    And ensure that the tables are well waxed. Planers are sensitive to too much friction on the tables.
    THIS. Most times waxing the table solves the problem. As in most things try the simplest first.
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; 10-27-2022 at 4:58 AM.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    THIS. Most times waxing the table solves the problem. As in most things try the simplest first.
    Never owned a big planer, but have had 3 smaller ones. A good waxing worked wonders for me with feeding issues, plus it costs next to nothing to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Sure , It might help. BUT some of that steel is really bad stuff. You can test one of the knives against a quality knife by wrapping a cloth
    around the ends to make a ‘handle’ and use the knife like a draw-knife. The good steel will slide easily through the wood. The junk knives
    will not. In employments I got a couple of bosses to buy good steel by telling them that if they bought the steel I recommended ,and they
    did not think it was better, I would buy it from them. They tried it and agreed it worked much better. I’m guessing that most of the knives
    in new machines are rubbish grade.

That’s not a “wide” board, especially for a 20” machine, and not something you should be fighting.

i would troubleshoot in this order -

-wax beds (consistently before use)
    -confirm / check height settings of feed rollers, pressure bar, etc in relation to cutterhead - likely need a dial indicator setup to do this accurately - the manual /manufacturer should have specs on this published and available. does it have bed rollers? If so, Lower them down below bed surface
    -assess quality of knife steel (and sharpness) and possibly upgrade to something of known high quality - CGG Schmidt is not a bad source, but I’m sure many here can offer multiple options.
    Still waters run deep.

If that machine has bed rollers, all these wax the table comments won't help. Once the board gets up on both rollers, it doesn't touch the table. My guess is the bed rollers are set very close to the table to reduce snipe and as suggested, the boards have not been made flat on a jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If that machine has bed rollers, all these wax the table comments won't help. Once the board gets up on both rollers, it doesn't touch the table. My guess is the bed rollers are set very close to the table to reduce snipe and as suggested, the boards have not been made flat on a jointer.

The boards have been flattened by a jointer and my machine has a spiral cutterhead. When you say bed rollers, you mean the infeed and out feed rollers, or the roller that is underneath the board on the bed of the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    this. it's a critical thing. wax the tables often.

Oops we missed it. Back to 4th grade “ reading comprehension “ I go !.

Taking the tiny cut is the problem. Take off at least 1/16th with each pass. It’s a PLANER ,NOT a sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Oops we missed it. Back to 4th grade “ reading comprehension “ I go !.

Taking the tiny cut is the problem. Take off at least 1/16th with each pass. It’s a PLANER ,NOT a sander.
    A planer ought to feed properly with a minimal cut. If waxing the table doesn't work, look at the feed roller, chipbreaker and pressure bar setup and adjust to spec.

thats not accurate Richard. I run my table rollers below the table and using wax is night and day, no rollers.

Sounds like the machine is set up poorly. All set up begins from knife projection out of the head which determines the cutting circle which determines the settings of pressure rollers, feed rollers etc. There will be info in the manual of the specs on that stuff for your machine.