Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen Anne chair

Queen Anne chair

My second Queen Anne chair. Carved ball and claw foot on this one.

queen anne chair final.jpg

Wow...fabulous craftsmanship!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't understand the attraction to that style, it looks uncomfortable and unattractive to me, but I admire the craftsmanship it took to make it. Well done, Mark.

Nothing I would ever try to do.
    Sure, am glad you have the patience and the talent to do a chair that nice.
    VERY NICE WORK
    Ron

What makes those chairs comfortable is the depth of the seats. Same thing with old Windsor chairs ,much more comfortable.

Thanks everyone. You are right Mel, it is surprisingly comfortable with webbing topped by firm and soft foam. And yes, the deeply sculpted seats of the handmade Windsor chairs are a joy to sit in compared to the flat wooden slab of modern chairs.

Very nice. How many hours do you estimate it took to make it? It would take me months to build as I don’t have the skills required to make such a piece.
    Chris

Well done Mark. Did you do the upholstery yourself or send it out?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    Very nice. How many hours do you estimate it took to make it? It would take me months to build as I don’t have the skills required to make such a piece.
    Thanks Christian. I would estimate I put in 160 hours of work, but it was broken up over months. The carving was particularly enjoyable...my skills pale in comparison to the original maker of the chair...I am beginning to understand carving as artwork upon wood...I would love to really develop some skills in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Well done Mark. Did you do the upholstery yourself or send it out?
    Thanks Dave. I make the seat frame, used jute webbing, then firm foam, soft foam, quilt batting, muslin, then took it to my local upholsterer who used my italian tapestry. He charged me $40. This seat is more comfortable than my last seat - I pulled the webbing banjo tight in the first one - this one I just tightened the webbing just enough and it did the trick.

Mark, I might have said this before… piercing between the claw and ball is a rare and highly coveted feature . You could do it, and we all
    would really like to see it !

Blog Entries
    Fantastic work Mark! Both carving and bending of the seat frame are advanced skills few can execute as good as your chair.

Any suggestions For the bending, did you laminate thin strips? Jig with steam?

Is the chair for a client? Does that mean they are future orders for more? At 160 hours/chair, how do you think about pricing?

I’m a huge fan of your work and really appreciate you taking the time to post and share your inspiring work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Mark, I might have said this before… piercing between the claw and ball is a rare and highly coveted feature . You could do it, and we all
    would really like to see it !
    Yes Mel, I have seen that! It is impressive. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Fantastic work Mark! Both carving and bending of the seat frame are advanced skills few can execute as good as your chair.

Any suggestions For the bending, did you laminate thin strips? Jig with steam?

Is the chair for a client? Does that mean they are future orders for more? At 160 hours/chair, how do you think about pricing?

I’m a huge fan of your work and really appreciate you taking the time to post and share your inspiring work!
    Thanks for the kind words Mike...as a fellow Neanderthal I have looked to your fine, detailed work for tips. Although the horseshoe shaped seat frame could be done with bent laminations, in this case it was done with mortise and tenon joining 3 curves pieces. The chair is for my house. I have donated pieces for raffles for worthy causes but have not sold any pieces. I have couple of adirondack chairs ( Michael Fortunes Garden Chair ) I made in front of my house in heartwood cherry. A few neighbors have asked if I would make one for them. I told them it would cost $1000 for a chair. They lost interest. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I have couple of adirondack chairs ( Michael Fortunes Garden Chair ) I made in front of my house in heartwood cherry. A few neighbors have asked if I would make one for them. I told them it would cost $1000 for a chair. They lost interest. Oh well.
    Great story- sounds familiar!