Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IKEA thin ply wood - Pine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    There are people who seem to like the look of pine,
    I don't mind pine for some things. Stained with a warm yellow or orange stain etc.
    But this IKEA piece caught my eye and I couldn't shake how wrong it looked, aesthetically. I might almost call it cringeworthy. And I'm not an IKEA hater. I like the simplicity and thriftiness of many of their designs. Some items are better than others but most of their products seem to be thoughtfully "engineered" which I appreciate.

But, if this plywood is either cheaper and/or lighter than baltic birch, I'd like to try it for some projects that are either painted or otherwise don't need aesthetic appeal.

Blog Entries
    Ikea has a huge global presence. Most of their products are made in Poland. I would not be surprised if mills that created birch plywood are having to find new sources for wood. The ply structure in the OP's image looks like Baltic Birch, the wood is obviously not birch. Ikea has created a lot of horrible particleboard crap. They have also succeeded at dominating a world wide market, and staying private. They will likely corner the market for a Baltic Birth substitute. The Radiata plywood I am familiar with comes from Chile. I like Pine, Spruce, and Fir.

P.S. Ikea is the most successful cabinet shop in the world.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-26-2022 at 7:18 PM. Reason: caps
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Gandy View Post
    Ok, so I saw a comment about CDX. And Radiata as a specific brand that HD appears to carry. But I don't think I've ever seen pine plywood with plies as thin as this. I had, until now, speculated that pine didn't like to be cut that thin. If there is a US domestically available product like this, I would like to get my hands on some of it. I work with BB quite a bit for the strength and, more importantly, the stability. It's great for a lot of things. But I would love to have a domestic pine product that could get close to the same stability (on account of the high ply count) as another option.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I should hang out here more often.
    Attachment 488716
    Apple ply? Though it's hardwood faces rather than pine. I think it's similar to Baltic Birch including price.

As woodworkers we see value in what we do, why else would we do it?

For most people a bookshelf is valuable because it gets the books off the floor. The main disadvantage to Ikea is the need to assemble it, or get someone else to assemble it.

Pine vs BB? Pfftt!

Blog Entries
    Our son worked for a moving company In Chicago. The company eventually had to create a disclaimer about moving low end Ikea cabinetry. You just can not move some of those knock down particle board cabinets without them falling apart. It usually happens at the top of the stairs. I have had the job of repairing a lot of them. A glued on back that is masonite or plywood rather than cardboard helps hold them together. I had been critical of Ikea for years. The death of Jozef Dudek was not surprising to me but made me very sad.

My Dad has a supply of fine hard woods and Mahogany. He made caskets for mom and himself recently and chose Pine.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Gandy View Post
    I don't mind pine for some things. Stained with a warm yellow or orange stain etc.
    But this IKEA piece caught my eye and I couldn't shake how wrong it looked, aesthetically. I might almost call it cringeworthy. And I'm not an IKEA hater. I like the simplicity and thriftiness of many of their designs. Some items are better than others but most of their products seem to be thoughtfully "engineered" which I appreciate.

But, if this plywood is either cheaper and/or lighter than baltic birch, I'd like to try it for some projects that are either painted or otherwise don't need aesthetic appeal.
    Totally agree. It is clearly not CDX but I would never be able to get over having furniture that looks like a subfloor. UGLY.

Blog Entries
    There is a bit of a poverty stigma attached to Pine. A visit to Atlantic Veneer in NC cured me of any hesitation to admire Pine. Rotary cut is not the best look. Back in 1995 Atlantic had sheets of pine plywood with quartered face veneer from trees that had to have been over 6 feet in diameter. I hope to get back there with a van and some cash!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Fellas - I don’t expect a bunch of “fine woodworkers” to love IKEA products but you may want to park your prejudice for a bit and consider :

Not everyone has your appreciation or like for Chippendale or period Shaker furniture. And just as many think that heirloom you got from great great granny that came over on the Mayflower is better suited for firewood than adoration. Their opinion is no more or less valuable than yours.

I’m pretty sure all of you have furniture in your home which was constructed with time or money saving techniques and by a manuf. that cut corners. That’s ok because it’s yours ?

IKEA is one of the most vertically integrated operations around. Are all you craftsmen growing your own lumber ? Recycling the waste ? Those of you that are ……..are you designing your own work -or- just copying someone else’s design from another era ? Do you have new designs every year ? Do you do upholstery?

Do you employ more than a handful of people and turn a profit and pay out a dividend ?

Producing fine woodwork and making a profit is tough work even on a small scale. Darn near impossible given the lack of demand. Doing it at the scale and size of IKEA is unthinkable. The only way to lose as much money faster would be to start an airline.

Blog Entries
    Part of the appeal of the knock down cabinet seems to be that some folks enjoy the assembly process and feel like they have participated in creating themselves a piece of furniture. There is a place for it. When knock down items get too big they not work well.
    Best Regards, Maurice

For those actually making handcrafted furniture, the challenge is how to make the public understand the difference between nice looking furniture and well made furniture that will last. I recently completed a dining table for a couple with a leopard wood top and curved walnut base with a butterfly leaf. There was $2,400 in that table before I added labor. That table will hopefully be handed down and last generations. OTOH, some people like the idea of buying a $600 dining table and replacing it as their style preferences change. That is not my market.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Part of the appeal of the knock down cabinet seems to be that some folks enjoy the assembly process and feel like they have participated in creating themselves a piece of furniture. There is a place for it. When knock down items get too big they not work well.

I think you and others are missing the two of the most important attributes of IKEA:

It's cheap/affordable

I can have it today and it can come home with me in my car - all without having to sign up for a financing offer or deal with a sales weasel.

Sure, some like the attaboy, look what I did aspect ; most simply like the price + convenience along with a modicum of style.

Blog Entries
    I was disappointed when our town lost its Scandinavian Designs store. I could send clients there to get ideas for things they wanted me to make and the prices were usually within a range I could compete with. Given the jump in materials prices competing with a factory leaves little room to pay yourself.
    Best Regards, Maurice

For those actually making handcrafted furniture, the challenge is how to make the public understand the difference between nice looking furniture and well made furniture that will last.

The public absolutely understands the difference between the two; same as they do bespoke clothing, locally raised/grown organic food, and handmade automobiles . Their choice simply doesn't fit into your view of what the furniture market should be.

The other thing some around here don't seem to grasp -or want to accept - is that what our group might think is "nice looking" has little or no bearing on what the masses do.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 10-30-2022 at 7:50 PM.

The public absolutely understands the difference between the two
    Indeed. Surprised how many people I would normally expect to reject my work over cost are now calling, getting on my list, expressing how they're so sick of that costume furniture and it's evident drive further to the bottom of the barrel. There certainly seems to be a growing demographic that's not necessarily seeking a piece of artwork or heirloom, just something that lasts beyond the 48 months zero interest contract. Again, the public is not ignorant.

Very grateful the Amish have developed a reputation that the public often refers to as an example of highest quality, at least at retail levels.
    Once a client qualifies with this knowledge and budget level, yet needs customization/re-stylizing, I know there's a chance I can give them a custom piece for a cost that is manageable for them.

While material costs can be cited as an issue for the small operator, shipping and labor costs are now pushing those retail numbers ever higher, so I like to think the whole thing balances out, at least somewhat. I'm just replacing their excessive overhead with my ability to personalize and hand deliver solid quality. Some still clearly see the value of that trade off.

Just saying - so many obligations to deliver so much quantity, so much profitability, at pricing that appears to be immune to inflation = no room for quality, and that's disappointing to more than just a bunch of highly-critical woodworkers.

Thanks and praise to those who value what I do and have the patience and funding to have me build for them.

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra