Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is The Most Difficult Power Tool In The Wood Working Shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    My vote for most damaging/dangerous would be a portable hand planer. There are others but this one tops my list.
    I have to agree 100% on this. Even if I had my 12 ga SXs Coach Gun in the shop - - the power hand plane is more than up to the task of causing massive damage in a short period of time.

It's so sinister because it's so innocent looking - right up to the point that it catches its cord on something and goes sideways across the surface.
    The all you can do is quietly sob....

The tool I most afraid of though is my Bostitch FW28WW framing nailer. I have nightmares about that rascal chasing me around the house trying to crucify me. Seriously though - I had the pressure up too high the first time I tried that gun. It shot a 3 1/2" nail completely through a 2X4.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    One that doesn't work like it is Supposed to!
    This is my answer as well and thankfully I have upgraded enough over time to get and eliminate most of those types of headaches.
    Still waters run deep.

I vote for...."the woodworker". The power often fluctuates which definitely affects the results....

But my signature points toward my other answer which is kinda consistent with Mark Hennebury's comment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Has anyone commented on your cool new profile picture? You like to change it every decade!!!

I can't tell if that glow behind you is curly locks or the moon. Please clarify, because this will affect whether I heretofore picture you as Magistrate or Astronomer.

I have to relearn how to use my dovetail jigs every single time I drag one out..... As far as most dangerous goes, I have a 4" right angle grinder that I can fit a carbide tooth blade to. Super handy when I need it, but also terrifying.

For me it’s the router. I very rarely like the results I get and I’m always concerned that it desires to eat my hands. Loud too!

Going to give a festool router a try soon. Hoping I like it.

I'll have to agree with what several others have posted: for me it's a hand-held router, particularly my trim router. It looks cute but has the heart of a killer. It's like holding a Tasmanian devil (not that I've ever held, nor hope to hold, a Tasmanian devil!).
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    My vote is for the 3 X 21 and / or 4 X 24 portable belt sander. I have handed both to would be helpers and regretted it. Do others have a least favorite?
    While I would agree that nothing will take a finger off like a table saw, I believe you're asking what tool will really mess up a job for you and IMO the belt sander is right up there. Interestingly I read this thread right after one in which people are debatng whether rotary sanders are gentle enough to use in the shop and certainly whatever you can mess up with a rotary sander you can butcher with a belt.

I bought my first one over 50 years ago when I was managng an apartment house. Cheap student housing, all the entrances were exposed to the weather and the flat-panel doors needed attention. I really gouged some of them before I decided there had to be a better way. Experience would have helped of course but there's no doubt a portable belt sander can tear through some material in a hurry.

I have no issues with tools of any kind, it's people that are the most dangerous/difficult JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Jim, Has anyone commented on your cool new profile picture? You like to change it every decade!!!

I can't tell if that glow behind you is curly locks or the moon. Please clarify, because this will affect whether I heretofore picture you as Magistrate or Astronomer.
    LOL. You can check out the iterations in my shop build thread from a few days ago. I took the shot using portrait mode (iOS) and one of the automagic filters was the black background. It does seem to have a little bit of glow to it.

----

Someone recently mentioned dovetail jigs. Yea, those can be hard when one doesn't use them very often. I don't miss the one I sold one bit! (Leigh, believe it or not)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The most difficult tool to master in my shop, although not normally considered a power tool, is the one between my ears.

Never used a shaper, does a power feeder address most of the dangerous aspects of it?

Toyota to Pay $1.2B for Hiding Deadly ‘Unintended Acceleration’

ABC News first reported concerns in 2009; FBI: Toyota "put sales over safety."

Any Machinery that doesn't do what it is supposed to is very dangerous. Take routers with "speed control" for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have no issues with tools of any kind, it's people that are the most dangerous/difficult JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The most difficult tool to master in my shop, although not normally considered a power tool, is the one between my ears.
    ...not normally considered a power tool... Ha! That was fantastic.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

I will agree with what Mark Hennebury posted: "One that doesn't work like it is supposed to!"