Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Laguna SUV bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    My only advice to you is to not wait too long to decide. Good deals do not last long.
    Agreed. Go test it and buy it while it's still there. Run, don't walk.

As for Andy's post, I'm jealous/envious of the price you found that MiniMax and Agazanni, but that world doesn't exist right now. Hope it comes back, but ever since CoVid, prices have gone slap crazy. You can barely find a saw better than Harbor Freight listed for the $1k to $2k range any more when you look at places like Facebook Marketplace. I know there are good saws out there, but it takes a lot of time and waiting to find the deals and usually you have to be willing to go drive 200 to 500 miles unless you live in a very high population area.

In my area of north Florida, there is nothing even close to a 14" Laguna SUV listed in the classifieds for $1200. Closest I can find is a 14" Powermatic cast iron saw, which is a nice saw, but it certainly is not a steel frame 3hp resaw machine. Having previously owned a Grizzly 513 Extreme 17" model, and a Minimax 16" model, I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice 14" to 16" saw myself that can handle light resaw work with a 3/4" blade but also scroll work with a smaller blade. Would love to find something with 2 to 3 hp that was near the $1k mark myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    All you armchair quarterbacks rec'ing this saw or that.....................are they $1200 ? Incld. tax ?

Do they come with a $150 carbide blade ? Or any blades for that matter ?

Do they have a real 3hp American made motor , or a probably, kinda, sorta, maybe 3hp motor made by the lowest cost provider in the pac rim ?

And did y'all consider lou might want to do scroll work ? Or have low ceilings in his shop ? Those trophy big wheel saws y'all are pushing don't fare well if those are on your criteria list. Sure , there are better saws out there for re-sawing. Might as well get a 24"er while you're at it.

For future readers of this thread, I'd suggest you post some links where they can find a 16" , 18" or 24" saws for $1200.

lou - does the saw in question have a mobility kit installed ? That's another + What about the add on laguna driftmaster fence ?

Yeah, pretty much what you said. I will be doing some curves/scroll cuts with it & it does have a mobile base, not sure on fence as far as I know it's stock fence. And what others have said the used tool market is horrible and a saw like this new is just too much $ for me.
    I'm going tomorrow morning to get it & fingers are crossed saws in good shape it's a 2hr drive one way. If it makes home I'll post a pic or 2
    Thanks again everybody.
    Last edited by lou Brava; 10-25-2022 at 3:54 PM. Reason: add text

I can't help much with that saw but i can add to the "go bigger" argument. For $1200 with spare blades you can always upgrade later and get most of your money back if you decide that having a BS is great and now you want a larger one. I went from a 14" to a 19" and don't regret it one bit. The extra throat capacity and over all weight is nice. But I wasn't ready to go big right off and it took a few years before I decided to do the upgrade. It sounds like you'll not have to put a cent into that BS for years to come so even if you pay $1200 we would have to be in a deep recession to not be able to get at least $1000 a few years down the road.

Blog Entries
    I have a 14" Jet with a riser block. I am completely satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The back of my brain says Harvey sells the same saw with different paint, not sure about the blade guides. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You could check on the new price for one of those but I think $1,000 - $1200 is fair, especially with the blades included.
    I just looked at the Harvey and it's almost the same, and even says about 15,000 units have been sold under mainstream brands, so basically different paint jobs and some minor differences in the hardware and guides. It's on sale too right now, but you need to choke up about $350 for shipping. The downfall of Harvey is their crazy shipping prices, but the 'sale' price on the saw makes it very attractive if in the market. If I upgrade, it's going to an 18"
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Ended up buying it, hopefully I got a good machine if it continues to work as it did when tested I'll be happy.
    A CL sale for sure ! Guy said He bought machine new 4 years ago and was adamant it only had about 20 hrs on it I ended up not believing either claim. Overall it looks good ran great, wheels seemed to run perfectly true & it resawed a 30" long board very true. It came with 5 brand new blades (if anybody has any use for still in the box 125" 1 X.035 3TPI Arntz blades I'd be happy to trade or sell I have 3) I need a 3/8 4-8tpi blade. Also came with a Driftmaster fence, no stock fence, 4" dust collector hoses & Y, a 20' 8ga ISO extension cord, a homemade mobile base, a new 3/4 3TPI resaw king, a new 1/2" 3TPI blade & a 3/4" 3TPI blade that's on the saw. I need to cut some 2" radius in 2 1/2" Oak & want to buy a decent blade for that I'm thinking 3/8" 6TPI ? any suggestions would help.
    Thanks
    BS.jpg

Attaaboy! Sounds like a good find.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Incredible deal. Especially with the blades.

If you really want that stock fence Ill trade you for the driftmaster.

Good deal - you might be able to find a production date decal on it, or give Laguna an e-mail with the serial number and they can most likely give you the production date. You got yourself a great saw!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Nice looking Bandsaw and deal. Hope you get to use it a lot!

Congrats. Nice deal, for sure.

You'll like it. I liked mine. Never had an issues with it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

You've been given good advice above. I have the Laguna 14 SUV (about 9 years old and heavily used) and like it. Given the space and money I'd opt for a larger BS with a bigger motor and capable of using bigger blades for resawing but I don't have major complaints.

you suck !

If you're not happy I'm sure there are guys here that'll take it off your hands for $1200.

I'm not sure why you're skeptical of the 4yr old / 20 hr claim. That saw was only available in a small window of time which fits the 4yr. claim. It clearly doesn't have a lot of miles on it based on the looks + blades N.I.B. and if the blade you tried the test cuts on cut true and steady then it doesn't have a lot of time on it either.

In fact, based on the pic I wouldn't be surprised if the run time was less than 20hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    you suck !

If you're not happy I'm sure there are guys here that'll take it off your hands for $1200.

I'm not sure why you're skeptical of the 4yr old / 20 hr claim. That saw was only available in a small window of time which fits the 4yr. claim. It clearly doesn't have a lot of miles on it based on the looks + blades N.I.B. and if the blade you tried the test cuts on cut true and steady then it doesn't have a lot of time on it either.

In fact, based on the pic I wouldn't be surprised if the run time was less than 20hrs.
    5 hours of run time per year for an occasional use hobbyist whose jobs are not bandsaw centric seems reasonable to me. A new Resaw King blade and driftmaster fence gotta be what, $500 new or so?