Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Laguna SUV bandsaw

Used Laguna SUV bandsaw

Got a line a 6 year old "lightly used" Laguna 14" band saw. Online reviews are mixed (what a shocker) seems it's all complaints about the ceramic guides. Looking for for some input on weather or not the saw is worth buying. It's listed for 1200 with 4 new blades. Or any thing I should lookout for when I go see it. I'm not sure what to look for this will be first band saw buy for me. I'm going to have him resaw a wide board & if it does that well I'd think it would be worth getting.
    Thanks

I have a Laguna 14BX, the 14SUV when it was produced had a 3hp motor, mine has a 2.5hp. The 14SUV also uses a 125" blade (vs 115 for the 14BX) and can handle a blade up to 1" thick, vs 3/4" for the 14bx.

- One thing the 14SUV lacks is a tall resaw fence (going from my memory). It can absolutely resaw, but if you plan to resaw tall boards, a fence mod or upgrade might be good for safety reasons, 100% not a show-stopper.
    - The ceramic guides are really not an issue at all. I tend to like them and most complaints are because people don't know how to set the saw up properly. There are youtube video's to help show you how to set up the guides.
    - I see you will ask the seller to resaw a wide board, but you also need to ensure the current owner has the correct blade to do this. If the current owner was using the saw for different work, he maybe not have a good resaw blade, and your test will not be successful. The right blade is more important than many think.

$1200 seems like a fair price given the cost of pretty much everything right now, if it's lightly used and well maintained. If you make an offer for a 1000 and he takes it, that is a bonus for you. This machine new was most likely about $2000 when it was available for sale.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Not much to add to what Justin said, but as a another data point, I like the ceramic guides on my 18BX. I suspect folks that don't like them may be feeding stock too fast and too hard for the blade in use and therefore are forcing the blade against the guides a lot.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

unless it was neglected thats good price on a 14suv.

Ask yourself this: what other 14" bandsaw can I buy for the same money ?

When you see the saw, try adjusting the guides and see how you like it. I have one that's older and I think it's a major pain in the neck to adjust the guides.

Thanks guys, sounds like it's a good machine. A plus is one of the blades that comes with it is a brand new resaw king so doing a test on wide board shouldn't be a problem. And yeah I haven't found any other 14" saw with same spec. for that money. I did see a brand new Rikon 14" with a 13" resaw for 1495.00 amazon but I have feeling the used Laguna is a better buy if it's in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    ...Ask yourself this: what other 14" bandsaw can I buy for the same money ?
    No. Ask yourself: "Why am I not considering a 16" or larger."
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    Thanks guys, sounds like it's a good machine. A plus is one of the blades that comes with it is a brand new resaw king so doing a test on wide board shouldn't be a problem. And yeah I haven't found any other 14" saw with same spec. for that money. I did see a brand new Rikon 14" with a 13" resaw for 1495.00 amazon but I have feeling the used Laguna is a better buy if it's in decent shape.
    OK good, so your test cut will be using a solid (best of the best) blade. That blade alone is about $175. If you plan to use that blade, your deal just got even better. The 14" RIKON, which I am thinking you saw the Rikon 10-324TG, which is a $1300 saw, but 1500 on Amazon to help offset shipping. It in the same class as the 14SUV, let alone the Laguna 1412. If you want to compare the Laguna 14SUV with Rikon, you need to look at the Rikon Model 10-353, which is about $3000. Depending on where you live, you need to include sales tax and freight (if you have it delivered vs pickup at a local tool dealer).

I also see Andy asked you about considering a 16" or larger. Well, this question is a legit question, and I somewhat kick myself a bit when I bought my 14BX that I could have had an 18BX for about $400 more (at the time).
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    No. Ask yourself: "Why am I not considering a 16" or larger."
    I agree, having sold my 14SUV for a larger bandsaw. I'm thrilled that I moved up in machine size. Better in all respects, but $$$.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The back of my brain says Harvey sells the same saw with different paint, not sure about the blade guides. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You could check on the new price for one of those but I think $1,000 - $1200 is fair, especially with the blades included.

All you armchair quarterbacks rec'ing this saw or that.....................are they $1200 ? Incld. tax ?

Do they come with a $150 carbide blade ? Or any blades for that matter ?

Do they have a real 3hp American made motor , or a probably, kinda, sorta, maybe 3hp motor made by the lowest cost provider in the pac rim ?

And did y'all consider lou might want to do scroll work ? Or have low ceilings in his shop ? Those trophy big wheel saws y'all are pushing don't fare well if those are on your criteria list. Sure , there are better saws out there for re-sawing. Might as well get a 24"er while you're at it.

For future readers of this thread, I'd suggest you post some links where they can find a 16" , 18" or 24" saws for $1200.

lou - does the saw in question have a mobility kit installed ? That's another + What about the add on laguna driftmaster fence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    ...suggest you post some links where they can find a 16" , 18" or 24" saws for $1200...
    I bought my 16" MiniMax for $1500 and my 20" Agazzani for $1700.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    OK good, so your test cut will be using a solid (best of the best) blade. That blade alone is about $175. If you plan to use that blade, your deal just got even better. The 14" RIKON, which I am thinking you saw the Rikon 10-324TG, which is a $1300 saw, but 1500 on Amazon to help offset shipping. It in the same class as the 14SUV, let alone the Laguna 1412. If you want to compare the Laguna 14SUV with Rikon, you need to look at the Rikon Model 10-353, which is about $3000. Depending on where you live, you need to include sales tax and freight (if you have it delivered vs pickup at a local tool dealer).

I also see Andy asked you about considering a 16" or larger. Well, this question is a legit question, and I somewhat kick myself a bit when I bought my 14BX that I could have had an 18BX for about $400 more (at the time).
    Haven't consider a 16" or larger, (I'm a hobby woodworker) having never owned one I always managed to come up with a work around for BS work or was able to use a friends shop which I never liked doing. I have a project I'm starting where a BS will save me a lot time and frustration. And now I have place to put one and a small budget to buy one. I can see the advantage for a larger saw but for my needs & budget I'm pretty sure a 14" will do. The used Laguna is actually a little more $ than I wanted spend on a used BS but I know I'll be much happier having a quality tool than trying to save a few hundred bucks or buying new and getting way less of a tool.
    Thanks again for everyone's input !

I have the 14 SUV. I like it now at first I couldnt figure out the setup on the ceramic blocks. I dont use the bandsaw as much as I should so I usually have a big resaw king on it. I went for this one because its small enough to not take up alot of room and can do fine work as well as large rip when necessary. I wish it had a better fence but not so much that I changed it or modified it

My only advice to you is to not wait too long to decide. Good deals do not last long.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.