Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Change of the Era

Replacement copy is scheduled to arrive on Saturday so hoping for time to re-read but probably not enough time to get all the way through.

And thanks to this now I need to spend time rearranging the bookshelf to see if I can remember other books I've loaned and not gotten back!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

“No functional difference between hand cut and machine cut dovetails “. There is a difference in how they look. Some cabinet makers will
    always use narrow tails on 18th century copies ….because they are making copies. There is no functional difference between a a child’s red
    steel wagon used as a tea table and a real 18th century mahogany tea table , and yet one costs a lot more than the other. I have not seen machine cut dovetails that looked like 18th century dovetails. Even people shopping in used furniture stores will often choose to buy
    a random fine “impractical “ piece over the sturdy piece they were looking for. Believe or not there are guys so fast at making hand-cut
    dovetails that they will be finished with a job before another guy has read the directions for a new electric machine dove-tail cutter. I can’t
    do that , but Ive seen it done.