Thread: Abranet sanding belts

Abranet sanding belts

Hope someone out there has experience with these – do they cause increased wear on the belt sander itself in the same way that the sanding discs do on a ROS platen?

Good question. The Abranet sanding disks cause wear on the hook and loop pad of the sander therefore the need for a intermediary pad to protect the sander base. Should not be an issue with a belt sander because there is no H&L.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Good question. The Abranet sanding disks cause wear on the hook and loop pad of the sander therefore the need for a intermediary pad to protect the sander base. Should not be an issue with a belt sander because there is no H&L.
    Do the belts have some sort of low friction backing? Otherwise the platen would wear out in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Do the belts have some sort of low friction backing? Otherwise the platen would wear out in no time.

This is what I'm wondering. My Abranet ROS discs look like they have a thin non-abrasive layer on the back. Also wondering whether loose grit/etc tends to get between the platen and mesh and abrade the platen. I have a couple belts on order from Lee Valley to test, but was wondering if someone has experience.