Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning my Bessey K-Body Revo Junior clamps

Blog Entries

Returning my Bessey K-Body Revo Junior clamps

For years I have been relying solely upon pipe clamps and some HF aluminum bar clamps (which I upgraded a bit by installed a wood core to stiffen them up). I had some budget set aside to add to the clamps arsenal, and after a lot of research, I settled upon the Revo Junior clamps. I was so excited when they arrived, and I setup a nice spot for them to hang on the wall.

As I was hanging them up the first time, I started to fiddle around with them... and fiddle and fiddle and fiddle some more. There was seemingly no rhyme or reason as to what allows the jaw to slide back and forth. It was very puzzling to me that I would have to "figure out" how to use clamps, but I was still committed to my new toys. I admired how nicely they hung on the wall, and looked at my pipe clamps with near-embarrassment in comparison.

Before my next shop excursion where I would put the clamps to use, I read articles and watched videos on how to use the clamps. I tested what I had learned a bit, and then proceeded to start my glue up of 10 panels for my current project. I knew it would take nearly every clamp (new and old) to do all these at one sitting, but I was ready to go.

You know how panel glue ups can be a bit stressful when the clock is ticking, and I was literally cursing how damn fiddly the Bessey clamps were. So much difficulty getting the jaws to slide when you wanted them to, and stay put when commanded to. I figured it was just continued learning curve (which seemed ridiculous to me... they're clamps for goodness sake), but then I kept coming across clamps that would not clamp. Out of 18 brand new Bessey clamps, 6 of them simply would not tighten down no matter what I tried.

Luckily, I was able to scrounge enough of my other clamps to finish the task at hand without issue, but I sure was frustrated.

After the session, I spent hours troubleshooting the 6 offending clamps. Adjusting set screws, following pointers on youtube videos, reading on Bessey's website etc. etc. etc. In the end, I never could get them to work.

After multiple calls and emails, Rockler relented and is allowing me to return the clamps for full credit (but they sure did put up a fight, and I have a fun task of boxing up awkward cargo) and I plan to buy Dubuque aluminum bar clamps and some more pipe clamps instead. I mostly glue up panels and furniture projects (not cabinets), so I think I can delay my need for parallel clamps for awhile longer.

Anyways, just wanted to post this in case anyone is considering buying in the near future... I had read so many reviews and thought I was making a good choice, and only learned of many negative reviews while researching the specific issues that I found.

(Note: For those that have these clamps and love them, I do not mean any harm whatsoever)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Bob, find out if you can do the return at the Moorestown NJ brick and mortar store rather than boxing/shipping.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've never used the Revo Junior clamps but have a bunch of the regular Revo clamps and like them very much.

I also have a bunch of the older K-body clamps but prefer the newer Revo clamps. One thing I like about them is that they have a 6mm socket in the end of the handle so I can use an Allen wrench to get them really snug.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-23-2022 at 3:35 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Bessey and Dubuque clamps and I prefer the Dubuques.

I went with Dubuque's some years back and don't regret it one bit.
    I have not been happy with the Revo clamps I have used and very glad I bought two to try did not jump into those
    Ron

I have 4 old k-bodies (old enough that I'm coming out of the loop on the current offerings). I love them for what they are, but man do they weigh a ton, and one of them now has developed a crack - probably related to years of abuse relying on a clamp to make up for some fitment issues.

I now also have piles of harbor freight aluminum clamps and f clamps. And frankly for how little I paid for them they're amazing. I've put in a lot of work into developing my skills to the point my joints fit together how they should. I'm not cranking on the clamps, and having 2 dozen clamps i can use properly is a lot more useful for me than a smaller number of parallel clamps.
    All these clamps are doing is keeping enough pressure on the joint that the properly cut wood fits together perfectly. Eventually I'll replace those k bodies, but for now I'm very happy with the cheap aluminum clamps.

I have an assortment of almost everything. Clamping is like sanding. Nothing beats the tool that can do the job best. With clamping time management is vital. I don't have any of the Jr's but do have a dozen Revos. I got them because I wanted a couple of 50" clamps that were more flexible than pipe clamps and Rockler had a 4 pack (2-24" and 2-50") sale. An internal part fell out and Bessey replaced it. They are a little tricky to use and if they give you any problems then I wouldn't have kept them either.

It doesn't require magic or skill to use a Revo bar clamp. You just have to apply a little force to the handle to make it grab the bar. Simple. But I wouldn't use the Jr. for clamping up panels. The bar is too light and will bow the panel.

Blog Entries
    Richard... I agree... with some minor modifications:

It seemingly requires magic or skill to use a Revo bar clamp. You would think that you just have to apply a little force to the handle to make it grab the bar. But, not so simple with 6 out of 18 from this Revo Jr. batch that I received.

---

As for bowing panels, I'm curious on that part as I would like to avoid bowing of course... When making panels, I use cauls, alternate my clamps above and below the piece, and I tighten for even squeeze out (but not to death grip level of pressure). This has always produced flat panels with tight joints, but I would gladly take additional tips if there's more to know.

---

@Jim B. - Rockler is paying for the return shipping
    - Bob R.

I have Revo Jrs and don't have the issues you describe. I'd be unhappy too, if I did.

I also have 10 of the Dubuques. Best clamp money I have spent. You will love them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Rockler fulfilled their promise and refunded me for the clamps. I ended up being out $28 for packing material, and the purchase of some wall mount clamp racks that may be less of a perfect fit now. I'll find a use for them.

Then, I hit send just now on my order for a 10-pack of Dubuque 36" Aluminum Bar Clamps and another 10-pack of their 48" model. I rarely go beyond 48" so I'll continue to leverage pipe clamps for those situations. I'll report back once the clamps arrive.
    - Bob R.

rockler is great with customer service. I had similar issues with a few bessey kre (not junior) and would probably not buy them again. They are now being made in china and are noticeably lower quality than the next most recent iteration which were "assembled in USA".

I have many Dubuque clamps also and I like them but they are not at all a lifetime purchase unless you are very careful with the force applied when clamping. More specifically, if you aren't careful, you can very easily over-tighten the screws to the point that the joint connecting the aluminum bar to the clamp screw fixture fails, this has happened on multiple clamps for me. Granted, I likely used too much force but it is something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schussheim View Post
    I have many Dubuque clamps also and I like them but they are not at all a lifetime purchase unless you are very careful with the force applied when clamping. More specifically, if you aren't careful, you can very easily over-tighten the screws to the point that the joint connecting the aluminum bar to the clamp screw fixture fails, this has happened on multiple clamps for me. Granted, I likely used too much force but it is something to be aware of.
    Yeah, this might be your technique. Not sure. But I havent had this problem with mine and I dont recall hearing others raise it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Sometimes things just aren't a good fit. I have a lot of K-body clamps and they are my go-to. Folks raved about the Jets so I bought a bunch during a Christmas sale. They are the most nefarious beasts ever. I only use them when I run out of others. Glad Rockler took care of you and hope the Dubuques will be more friendly to you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dubuque’s are nice in their own right, but it’s very easy to bow the 48” lengths being that long and light aluminum.

The only clamps I’ve used at that length that don’t really bow under moderate pressure are the older Jorgensen I beam style (model 72, I think) or even older Hargrave style bar clamps. Both are pretty thick steel I beam style bars and pretty heavy clamps. Even K body Bessey’s will bow a bit at 48” lengths or more if you aren’t careful/gentle.
    Still waters run deep.