Thread: Quilt Display Rack

Red face Quilt Display Rack

This was a humble little project, not sure even worthy of posting, but I invested many hours and did learn something new. My 17 yo daughter has a hobby of knitting bed covers and such (how rare is that in today's teenage world?).
    Anyway, the wife asked if I could build this quilt display rack and ordered this pattern. I built it with Cherry stock left over from other projects. What did I learn? This project would require Cherry dowel rods. I would either need to purchase online or make them. I have never made dowel rods but decided to give them a try. They turned out nice, new lesson I learned how to make dowel rods on the router table. DSC_4470 (3).jpg
    Last edited by julian abram; 10-23-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hat's off to you and your Daughter! Thats lovely work! Sharing creativity can be very rewarding.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Glad you did post , it’s a beautiful thing …and as Martha Stewart would say. “ It’s a good thing !” Beefier than some ,and yet, I don’t think
    a too beefy quilt rack has ever been made ! But some were likely not beefy enough, and sadly taken apart by young boys needing “ sword
    fight “ sticks !

Nice project...the detail work is very pretty.

Congratulations on the daughter and the quilt rack! I like the quilt rack's light but strong and organic feeling! Well done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice Julian, that's the best quilt rack I've ever seen. I especially like the sculpting on the end pieces. I'm curious about the dimensions.

Blog Entries
    +1 I'm glad you posted! I like it a lot, and feel you really balanced strength with beauty very nicely. I think a similar project is now on my radar, thank you!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Very nice Julian, that's the best quilt rack I've ever seen. I especially like the sculpting on the end pieces. I'm curious about the dimensions.
    John, the completed piece is 31"H x 21"W x 30"L. All the frame members are 1-1/8" thick. The top three dowels are 1" and the bottom two dowels are 3/4". All Cherry just finished with rub on stain poly.

Thanks Julian. I'm a little surprised the dowels aren't all the same diameter. I realize that the width of the frames are a little narrower by the lower dowels but if it were me I would have gone with all same diameter dowels. It's just a "balance thing" in my mind. Of course, once some beautiful quilts or bed covers are displayed on it it probably won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Thanks Julian. I'm a little surprised the dowels aren't all the same diameter. I realize that the width of the frames are a little narrower by the lower dowels but if it were me I would have gone with all same diameter dowels. It's just a "balance thing" in my mind. Of course, once some beautiful quilts or bed covers are displayed on it it probably won't matter.
    John, yes I understand your thought and appreciate your comments. I was lazy and went strictly by the wife's purchased pattern. The upright legs are 2" wide at the top and 2" wide at the bottom but taper to 1-1/2" in the middle. The uprights are narrowed even more with a 3/8" round over on edges. So, there is not enough flat space in the middle for a 1" dowel hole. I guess the taper adds a little extra interest and the lower two 3/4" rods do not support weight anyway.
    Last edited by julian abram; 10-24-2022 at 2:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful on many levels , not the least of which is opportunity to display both your and your daughters works simultaneously! Well done and congrats!