Thread: Practice Cello Neck

Practice Cello Neck

My wife, Judy, is a professional musician (cello). All classical musicians who play stringed instruments (violin, viola, cello, double bass) get calluses on the end of their left hand fingers (the right hand holds the bow). They need those calluses in order to be able to play their instrument for a couple of hours in a performance, as well as for the hours of rehearsal prior to the performance, and for their everyday practice. They have to practice every day in order to maintain those calluses, as well as to learn the music for the next performance.

However, Judy and I occasionally take a trip of up to three weeks where she does not have access to an instrument and her calluses fade away. Rebuilding those calluses takes time after we return so she cannot do a performance for several weeks after we return.

To help her maintain her calluses, I made a practice piece, sort of a scaled down cello neck. While a cello has four strings, the practice piece has only two, but that's sufficient. She can run the fingers of her left hand over the strings, pressing them down, as she would when playing - and therefore maintain her calluses. (I must admit that sounds really boring - like running on a treadmill or peddling a stationary bike.)

Here's a picture of what I made for her. It's not as "fine" as her cello, but it will work. I thought of carving a scroll on the end of the piece, and may do it one day. I should also polish the ebony a bit more, to a mirror shine.

First, a view from the side, showing the pegs. The pegs are made from cocobolo and the peg heads are on the side away from her head when she uses it (the head of the cello goes on the musician's left shoulder). The strings are ones that she replaced on her cello.

Practice-strings-01.jpg

And a view from the top - you can see into the pegbox. The finger board of most stringed instruments is ebony and I used ebony on top of maple for this piece. I used too much taper on the pegs, but they work with some effort - after I tighten one, while I'm still holding the tension, I tap the peg into the pegbox. If I don't do that, the peg can unwind.

Practice-strings-02.jpg

Judy will try it out on our next trip. I hope it works well for her.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-21-2022 at 9:21 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very kewel. Your next project shall be a folding travel cello.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That is excellent. Jim has a good point with "next". Most folks who stretch strings across a finger board get intrigued with the idea. You are well on the way to having created a travel cello. I am sure you have looked at things like this.
    Electric Cellos | Electric Violin Shop

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 9.12.00 PM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-21-2022 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My wife, Judy, is a professional musician (cello). All classical musicians who play stringed instruments (violin, viola, cello, double bass) get calluses on the end of their left hand fingers (the right hand holds the bow). They need those calluses in order to be able to play their instrument for a couple of hours in a performance, as well as for the hours of rehearsal prior to the performance, and for their everyday practice. They have to practice every day in order to maintain those calluses, as well as to learn the music for the next performance.

However, Judy and I occasionally take a trip of up to three weeks where she does not have access to an instrument and her calluses fade away. Rebuilding those calluses takes time after we return so she cannot do a performance for several weeks after we return.

To help her maintain her calluses, I made a practice piece, sort of a scaled down cello neck. While a cello has four strings, the practice piece has only two, but that's sufficient. She can run the fingers of her left hand over the strings, pressing them down, as she would when playing - and therefore maintain her calluses. (I must admit that sounds really boring - like running on a treadmill or peddling a stationary bike.)

Here's a picture of what I made for her. It's not as "fine" as her cello, but it will work. I thought of carving a scroll on the end of the piece, and may do it one day. I should also polish the ebony a bit more, to a mirror shine.

First, a view from the side, showing the pegs. The pegs are made from cocobolo and the peg heads are on the side away from her head when she uses it (the head of the cello goes on the musician's left shoulder). The strings are ones that she replaced on her cello.

Practice-strings-01.jpg

And a view from the top - you can see into the pegbox. The finger board of most stringed instruments is ebony and I used ebony on top of maple for this piece. I used too much taper on the pegs, but they work with some effort - after I tighten one, while I'm still holding the tension, I tap the peg into the pegbox. If I don't do that, the peg can unwind.

Practice-strings-02.jpg

Judy will try it out on our next trip. I hope it works well for her.

Mike
    Good idea inspired by an old one ! In 1960’s “There’s Always Room For JELLO “

NOW …. “There’s Always Room For Cello …neck” No Strings Attached !

We contacted a couple of violin shops to see if they had a neck from a violin, viola or cello that we could purchase and I could modify. No luck. If they get an instrument damaged beyond repair, I think they just dispose of it. (Think a cheap violin used by a young person who wound up breaking it.)

Those electric cellos are nice, but they're a lot more expensive than the piece I made. Also, it has to fit into a suitcase. I could imagine the TSA might think that it was a weapon if I tried to bring it along inside the cabin.

When cellists travel with their cello, they purchase a seat for the cello. There's a true story of Lynn Harrell, a cellists who does (did - he passed away) a lot of solo playing with different orchestras. When he traveled, he would purchase two first class tickets. He had two frequent traveler numbers, one for him and one for the cello. The cello was Cello Harrell.

One day, he got a message from the Delta - they were cancelling both frequent flyer accounts, his and the one for the cello - and cancelling all the miles in both accounts. He sent them a message saying he would avoid traveling on Delta from now on. So here's a guy who travels often, and buys two first class tickets when he travels, and the airline basically runs him off. Here's a link to the story. Here's another.

Mike

[Note: if you travel in economy, you have to have a bulkhead seat for the cello. Airline rules.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-21-2022 at 11:23 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    You did a great job! Fitting into a suitcase is a big deal.
    I like the James McMurtry song Airline Agent as it relates to flying with a stringed instrument.

If you get the bug to try a fully functional version it could be under 3 feet long. the electronic parts only cost a few dollars.

IMG_0788.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-22-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Fantastic idea! I'll tell my son, the cello player. My calluses from stringed instruments don't get nearly enough attention these days.

Your idea reminds me that brass players sometimes carry a "berp". A friend showed me his so I got one: it's simply a tube that holds a mouthpiece and provides a bit of air resistance. Buzzing the mouthpiece keeps the lips in shape as well as lets the musician develop/maintain breath control and embrouchure. His day job is a mail carrier and he said he uses his often during the day. Ain't much worse than picking up a horn when the lips are out of shape!

https://hornguys.com/products/the-berp-buzzing-tool-1

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Another neat innovation is miniature instruments with silicone strings. Not the best for keeping fingertips flat and hard, but the tone and portability is pretty amazing. We reluctantly sold the upright Bass and replaced it with a Kala U-Bass. Silicone strings for tuning in fifths are available.

Well done Mike! I hope it works for you wife.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    You did a great job! Fitting into a suitcase is a big deal.
    I like the James McMurtry song Airline Agent as it relates to flying with a stringed instrument.

If you get the bug to try a fully functional version it could be under 3 feet long. the electronic parts only cost a few dollars.

IMG_0788.jpg
    I wish I could have found a part like in your picture. Would have saved me some work!

That looks like it might have come from a cello.

Mike