Thread: Going to buy a Nova 1624-44, anything to look out for?

Going to buy a Nova 1624-44, anything to look out for?

I've got appointment to go and buy a Nova 1624-44 lathe for $700 on Sunday. I've been looking for a real lathe that I can use instead of my ShopSmith to turn banjo rims for my business. I'm wondering if there are any weak points or things to look out for on this lathe, and if anyone can advise me of the best way to take it apart and load it in the back of a car. It's about 85 miles away.

It's the 8 speed version where you move the belt, and that's fine with me. I'm looking forward to being able to get down in the 200 RPM range instead of the 700 range. I've turned 300 or more rims on the ShopSmith over the years, but now that I have a bit more room this should be handier, I think. Any advice will be much appreciated.

I have had a 1624-44 since 2007... I think...maybe 2009, and have been happy with it. Sure, I wish it had variable speed, but it has served me well. No big deal changing the belt and it still has the original belt! I think you will like it. Removing the legs is no big deal and will help loading it up. That price sounds good too.

Thanks for the advice, that's very good news. I don't mind changing the belt, as I had a drill press with two belts for 18 years and was able to change speeds in well under a minute. I kind of like the simplicity of a belt drive too, and not having to worry about the electronics getting fried in a lightning storm or something. Thank you very much.

I have had this lathe for 12 years. I have been happy with its performance. That said, there are things that could be better, but they haven't been a significant issue. Just keep in mind that the ways are quite flexible. It's worth the time to make sure the ways aren't twisted to ensure center alignment.

I picked the lathe up this morning and it seems very nice. The only disappointment I have with it is that the capacity is advertised as 16" but it is more like 7-7/8" from the center to the ways. I have to make 16" segmented turnings for cello banjo rims sometimes, and they have to really be exactly 16" on the outside. I am hoping I can lift the headstock up and put some 1/2" or 3/8" plate under it at the times when I need to turn a full 16", or if not I can use the ShopSmith as I have been doing. I'd rather have the lower speed, though, for those big rims.

The swiveling headstock seems to be stuck. I talked to the owner and it sounds like he never turned it, though I am not sure if he is the original owner or not. I'm guessing it's just a bit rusted in place, but I don't know how to go about freeing it without damaging anything. I'd be grateful for any advice about that, if anyone has done it. Thank you very much.

I figured out how to swivel the headstock this morning, so now all that I need to do is to make a plate or base so I can mount it on a cabinet or the table saw when I want to turn. With the headstock turned 45 degrees I'll be able to turn 16" rims. Now I just have to wait for the faceplate to be delivered and I'll be ready to go.

I turned a banjo rim tonight and the lathe is miles better than the Shopsmith. The low speed is nice, and it really runs true with no play or far less play than the Shopsmith has, so the end result is nicer. I just clamped the lathe bed to the wing of the table saw and it worked fine.