Thread: Assembly/Outfeed table

Assembly/Outfeed table

Just got my new Sawstop ICS set up and want to build a new outfeed table that I can also use for assembly. Searching online, there a quite a few examples of tables with T-tracks set into the top of the table. This intrigues me, as I could probably use clamps, bench dogs and lots of other work holding devices in the T-tracks. Has anyone built this type of outfeed/assembly table that can share a few pics and comments on how it is working out?

On out feed tables, those slots are actually "oversized miter gauge slots". When you use a miter gauge or other jig/sled on the table saw, those out feed slots allow you to push the miter gauge all the way through to the end. If you have a solid out feed table, there is nothing worse then pushing the miter gauge and having it stop inches before the cut is finished.

Piggy-backing on Chris’ question, what are the “best” dimensions for an outfeed table. I’m looking at making one for my PCS.

On all the outfeed tables I have built, I've just routed out dados slightly larger than the miter slot on the table (or laminated several pieces of plywood with a gap between them which is my present outfeed table on my ICS. Nothing worse (and dangerous) as having the crosscut sled catch on the outfeed table. I also make the surface slightly lower than the table saw surface for just that reason. The one time I was hit with kickback was when my outfeed table surface was slightly higher than the saw and a board caught it.

For dimensions, I just chose what would make for deep drawers in the outfeed table. Of course, if you are planning on a folding outfeed table, the size is very different, and there are several really nice plans for those on the web.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Piggy-backing on Chris’ question, what are the “best” dimensions for an outfeed table. I’m looking at making one for my PCS.
    There is no "best" in general...it really comes down to what folks want to use the outfeed space for, both relative to their cutting patterns as well as other uses for the surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You want enough out-feed to support whatever kind of wood you are cutting. I used a router table as an out-feed table and it extended 28" past the saw table. There have been times that I needed to push it out, especially if I was ripping a really long piece (like 6-8 foot long). I would say normally 27-30" range is okay. The Sawstop outfeed is 32". As far as width goes, you should have enough to support the sheets you are cutting.

I use my workbench as out feed table. The little "bridge" lifts away when necesarry.

P1020682.JPG

Like Tim's "bridge", I have a similar bridge between the saw and my 3'x5' assembly table that lifts out to allow me to walk around the table.

Outfeed goes across the short dimension of the table -- the 2' bridge plus 3' table width provides 5' of supported outfeed.

Doo-dads and gee-gaws have no place on an outfeed table and are also unnecessary on an assembly bench. Here are my 2 outfeed tables. The lower one is 48" x 96". Upper is aa solid core door.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by chris weir View Post
    Just got my new Sawstop ICS set up and want to build a new outfeed table that I can also use for assembly. Searching online, there a quite a few examples of tables with T-tracks set into the top of the table. This intrigues me, as I could probably use clamps, bench dogs and lots of other work holding devices in the T-tracks. Has anyone built this type of outfeed/assembly table that can share a few pics and comments on how it is working out?
    I'm not a particular fan of t-tracks in tables as I find them somewhat tedious, but others may find them very useful. I did build an outfeed table/workbench that sits behind my table saw. I also have an assembly table that sits on the infeed side of the saw, so large sheets of plywood and stock ready to be ripped can be fed into the saw. There's nothing fancy about the bench, but it does get a lot of use.

Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patrick, I like your auxiliary fence!

Tim