Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of purchasing another lathe. Which one?

Thinking of purchasing another lathe. Which one?

My current lathe is a Oneway 2436, which is serving me very well. However, I was thinking of purchasing another lathe for smaller work. Any suggestions? How many lathes do you have and the reasons for having more than one?

The phrase that comes to mind “you can make small things on a large lathe but can’t make large things on a small lathe” seems to apply here. I have a full size Jet 1642 that I use to make small boxes and little finials, works well. My 2c

I recently got one of the Baxter Threading jigs. You can get them for big lathes, but my first threading jig was a Klein jig, and I got my first mini lathe to go with the threading jig. It was an expensive 3 day work shop...... The only thing I turn on my mini lathes are the threaded boxes. I did get a Rikon 12 inch lathe, which has the DC motor. Supposedly the DC motor doesn't lose as much torque when your speeds go down. Not sure about that. The Jet has 6 speed range pulleys. That might be because they just converted their old change the belt for speed changes before they made a dedicated variable speed lathe. My Rikon, which is 6 months or so old has 3 speed ranges. The only thing I don't like about the Rikon is that it has a slow start up/ramp up time, several seconds. The main thing I got the Rikon for was to see if I could attach a flex shaft to it for sanding bowls. That is still an experiment in progress. Have to find the perfect right angle drill attachment, and a few other little things.... I don't really use the mini lathes for anything else. I do have a Vicmark 240 which is their pivoting headstock lathe. It is my favorite for turning bowls on.

robo hippy

Not sure where you are located and/or if it's of interest, but if I were in the market again right now for a mid sized lathe, I would be all over this one listed over in Jacksonville, FL. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0435433099553/

It's not my listing but having previously owned a bunch of Vicmarc chucks, I can only imagine their lathes are top notch just like the Oneway that you own. This appears to be under 50% of new and looks in great shape from the pictures as well.

Regardless, I'm guessing you will not be happy with the Asian model lathes having owned that 2436, so why not one of the smaller Oneway models?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Not sure where you are located and/or if it's of interest, but if I were in the market again right now for a mid sized lathe, I would be all over this one listed over in Jacksonville, FL. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0435433099553/

It's not my listing but having previously owned a bunch of Vicmarc chucks, I can only imagine their lathes are top notch just like the Oneway that you own. This appears to be under 50% of new and looks in great shape from the pictures as well.

Regardless, I'm guessing you will not be happy with the Asian model lathes having owned that 2436, so why not one of the smaller Oneway models?

I always wanted a Vicmarc lathe after having seen and used one briefly. Unfortunately the Florida lathe is too far from me. I was thinking of getting one of the Oneway 1224 lathes.

Steve -- I have two lathes. (Well, three, lathes. I'm not counting the Woodfast lathe that I retired when I got my PM 3520 last year. Someday soon, I'll clean up the Woodfast and sell it.) The reason I have two lathes is because I decided to keep my Harbor Freight 12"x33" lathe when I got the Woodfast. My Woodfast has a short bed, so I kept the HF lathe for turning longer spindles. The HF spends most of its time as a dedicated buffing station. But, occasionally, I'll use it for a small project when I'm in the midst of another project on my PM 3520.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

If I were looking for a smaller lathe, one criteria might be that it has the same size spindle and tool rest post as my other lathe so I could use all my accessories on either lathe. With that in mind, you might consider the Powermatic 2014. That would be high on my list.

The 2014 is a fine smaller lathe. It is not finished as nicely as the 3520 (e.g., ways are ground but not polished), but it is perfectly functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    … How many lathes do you have and the reasons for having more than one?
    I have 5 lathes, two Jet minis (nicely portable for transport to a demo or set up in the shop for special occasions), two Jet 1642s (one set up in shop as secondary lathe, one spare in storage), and one PM3520B (primary lathe).

I like having two lathes in the shop; one reason is for when I have a student or two or a friend over; another reason is to simplify things on occasion when I have a threading or sphere jig or some other special setup and and want to turn something without disturbing that setup.

A big advantage to a second lathe is the redundancy in case the main lathe breaks down. This was a big help to me when the VFD failed on my Jet 1642 - I simply swapped the headstock for the one in storage and replaced the VFD at my leisure.

That said, there are disadvantages to keeping more than one lathe set up all the time. One, of course, is the extra shop space needed. A separate power source, dust collection drop, and additional task lighting may be needed. If the second lathe is a different size it may require purchasing duplicates of the favorite tool tests to fit (I bought a second set of Robust rests to fit my secondary lathe.) And if the lathe has a different spindle thread, additional chucks, collets, faceplates, and other things (e.g. indexing plate, etc) might be needed.

As someone pointed out, you don’t need a smaller lathe to turn smaller things. I’ve turned many miniature things on my larger lathe such as tiny tops, spindles 1” long and goblets maybe 1/2” tall. In fact, the larger lathe may be better for small things if the smaller compromises features and precision.

Everyones needs/desires are different of course.

JKJ

You might want to take a look at a Harvey lathe. Thay look pretty awesome.

I have a huge pattern makers lathe from the 1880s, as well as a NOVA 1622-44. I do most of my spindle duplication on the NOVA, and large heavy stuff on the old iron.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co.../harvey-lathes

Looking for justification ideas to assist your conscious or to be used to sell the idea to your wife? LOL I used to go into production this time of year for holiday shows. I have a Delta 46-460 for turning ornaments and jewelry and a little Jet 10" for a buffing station. The Delta had a horrible history, but mine has been flawless. It's my opinion that a lot of the failures were by folks using them to turn bowls. The control board just couldn't take the heat. I also have a 10" Jet made into a rose engine lathe. A Jet 1642 I bought really cheap as a backup for the Delta. My Oneway 2436 is the work horse and has paid for itself twice over. Then there is the 16' HAPFO copy lathe. Bought it super cheap, spent way too much getting it delivered. I have a homemade bowl lathe I bought as a mercy purchase from a wonderful old German pattern maker. Just a wonderful man in the waining years of life, and I wanted to make him happy. In the next month I will pickup up a Powermatic 3520B that was owned by a really good friend that passed. He had me in his will to receive his turning equipment. Great friend! Then I have this tiny vintage treadle lathe that also has a scroll saw on it. Almost a Victorian parlor lathe, but I've demoed on it at historical events. Do I win? LOL Sure wish our 42 year old son wanted to turn. Trophy pic of the HAPFO. Feel free to tell your wife, "On the plus side, I don't want to be like Richard!"
    hapfojames.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-22-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    You might want to take a look at a Harvey lathe. Thay look pretty awesome.

I have a huge pattern makers lathe from the 1880s, as well as a NOVA 1622-44. I do most of my spindle duplication on the NOVA, and large heavy stuff on the old iron.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co.../harvey-lathes
    I see those lathes as being too gimicky with customer support and parts in China. Not for me!

Harvey customer support and parts are in California. There is nothing gimmicky about using modern machine tool technology on a wood lathe. If it fails dramatically on me someday, I reserve the right to change my mind but the Harvey lathe in my shop was an excellent purchase choice for me.

Giving more thought to replacing the Oneway 1640 lathe I have for trade/sale I came to realize another advantage to getting a smaller lathe. The Oneway 1224 is less than half the weight of the 1640 and the Vicmarc 150 (my preferred choice) is less than that. The weight reduction would allow the second lathe to be placed on a newly extended mezzanine extension. Anyone know where there is a newer Vicmarc 150 for sale?

I don't make bowls but once or twice a year. Most of the time it is products with multiple parts. I have three lathes set up. Nothing fancy. The HF 12x33, a Rockwell 46-525 and a Turncrafter 8x12 midget.

The things I make often require both drilling, face work and spindle work. Switching accessories like centers to chucks and switching chuck jaws is a PIA., so I use one lathe for some operations and the other lathes for others. My tool chest is on wheels and rolls the 7 ft from one lathe to the other. The tools are on magnetic racks on the under side of the tool cabinet lid which is always open anyway. The little lathe is for quick tiny items. That I may need. I make 20 inch long wooden knitting needles for a woman. I use 7/16 birch dowels. I can mount those in the Rockwell lathe through the hollow head stock spindle, held in the pen jaws of the chuck. I turn the pointed tips and treat them the whole thing with CA glue for a hard glassy smooth finish. Then turn the end knobs on the tiny Turncrafter. Takes about 6 minutes to make a set. She gives them to women in her knitting club. I get $14 a pair. I also keep a notebook about the things I make. I list the materials and order of steps used to make them, so the specs will be the same every year. Goes for the holiday incense burners and music boxes.