Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing loss

Do any of you have tinnitus related hearing loss? At times the ringing in my ears is so bad I can't understand a damned thing at normal conversation levels. When I went to the doc 6 years ago he said there wasn't anything he could do for me.
    BillL

You might try another doctor. I don't have that problem but I have read that there are things that can be done to improve the situation.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I find I don't notice the tinnitus while wearing my aids. At night I do but I think it is better than it used to be.

In wonder if there will spring up some online hearing aide deal stores. Like the online drug companies. Seems a logical extension but returns could be a killer.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In wonder if there will spring up some online hearing aide deal stores. Like the online drug companies. Seems a logical extension but returns could be a killer.
    BilL D
    They have been around for a long time now, Bill. They do, of course, use careful language about what they are selling...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by William Lessenberry View Post
    Do any of you have tinnitus related hearing loss? At times the ringing in my ears is so bad I can't understand a damned thing at normal conversation levels. When I went to the doc 6 years ago he said there wasn't anything he could do for me.
    BillL
    Currently the only way to manage tinnitus is to distract yourself with different sounds. It sounds strange but you have to train yourself to focus on the audible sounds to get your brain to ignore the phantom sounds.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I have serious tinitus in both ears and have lived with it for better than 50 years. Constant screaming on a constant frequency and at times a warbling tone. Been to several doctors all say nothing they can do especially after so many years. My hearing is so far pretty good range wise it is just overburdened by the constant tones.
    Fo me there seems to be no hope BUT please lookinto this guy [COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color,var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Dr Alan Mandell, DC AKA [/COLOR]https://www.motivationaldoc.com .motivationaldoc
    https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=motivationaldoc+tinnitus&sou rceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    He demonstrates several things you can try at home to reduce and eliminate tinitus. He is all over YouTube with many topics but big on tinitus.
    Unfortunately for me his recommendations / methods did not do anything for my ringing.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Additionally do some research this is a topic that is getting slightly more medical attention.
    About 50% of the medical profession in this area are beginning to think that tinitus is not centered in the damaged ear but in the auditory center of the brain . This is encouraging because the brain can be re-programmed (the Dr. mentioned above ) has included some of this theory in his recommendations.
    I have learned to live with this but I would sure like to hear the sound of silence again some day.
    GOOD LUCK all my best
    mike calabrese

motivationaldoc
    Last edited by mike calabrese; 10-26-2022 at 8:06 PM.

Thanks to all of you. Mike, I'll look into the motivation doc and try all the things he mentioned, maybe I'll get lucky.
    BillL

I have tinnitus in my left ear. It is the remnant of a Labyrinthitus virus I contracted in ‘92. I would try to stand and just go over with absolutely no orientation or ability to protect myself in the fall. Rather unsettling. I was supposed to do my long cross country solo that day. Still haven’t finished that flight, but the constant tone hangs in there. It took about 2 yrs before I was really steady again. About 5 yrs ago I was doing something or other and the tone changed slightly. That was a big deal.

The State of Connecticut has a Bureau of Rehabilitation that will purchase necessary adaptive equipment, including hearing aids, for an employed resident or one seeking to becoming employed. The object is to keep people employed. When I called them 10 years ago they sent me to a local hospital for a hearing evaluation and for a recommendation of what type of hearing aid would help. The State paid about $4K at that time for my aids. Three and a half years ago my doctor referred me back to the State because my current aids were not sufficient. The bureau of Rehabilitation sent me to Yale-New Haven Hospital for evaluation and paid for a pair of high end aids at a cost of $6K.

Qualifying for help is not income dependent and there is no means testing. I could certainly have paid for my aids as I had in the past and I voluntarily told them so at our first meeting. I am sharing this because perhaps other states have similar programs that others can benefit from. The State also paid for both a medical visit and a visit with an PhD. Audiologist.