Thread: Wood Gear Wall Clock

Wood Gear Wall Clock

I built a wood gear wall clock from a file I bought on Etsy. The file, parts list, and assembly instructions were riddled with mistakes but I persevered and managed to build what might be the only working version built by one of their customers.

It's made from maple and walnut plywood that I made from shop sawn veneer, from 3 to 5 layers to get the 2 to 8 mm thick sheets I needed. I cut out the parts on my CNC. Here's one batch of 8 mm parts.

I learned that the best way for me to hold down really small parts is with double stick tape, and that small diameter downcut spiral end mills can do some amazing work. These were cut with 1/8 and 1/6" endmills. Toolpath direction had a profound impact on tolerances which was really important on a project like this. I definitely learned a lot. And even with the high precision cutting of the CNC I still had to hand fit a few parts for the clock to run properly. The escapement and anvil (close up photo) had to be sanded just a little where they engage to slip past each other properly.

The clock works as it should, but I doubt I will let it operate 24/7. The constant tick-tock is driving me nuts. I need to find a silent clock design.

John

That's really nice John! I saw several large wood gear clocks in a gallery in Eagle River Wisconsin, probably 40 years ago. They were like $1500 or more and well out of my price range, but I've wanted to build one ever since (I wouldn't mind the ticking, but it would drive my wife bonkers) Some day....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Fabulous John! What an adventure to make! I love clocks...David Lindow in Northeastern PA is the last to make his own clockworks, and he stopped making them ( after I had one made for me ) If you haven't you should read Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time is a best-selling book by Dava Sobel. He made a clock out of Lignum Vitae.

I read "Longitude." One of the best true stories I ever read.

I too read Longitude. Lot of people wouldn’t listen to him. It was new and nutty, remember the “horseless carriages “ were a LOT later
    and many thought the idea was crazy.

Very nice end result, John!! You're rocking your machine for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is super cool John. I bought plans for a similar clock when I bought my Stinger. I haven’t got any further on it – there’s always something else on the to-do list.

You mention tool path direction affecting tolerances. Is that a result of cutter deflection?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The clock works as it should, but I doubt I will let it operate 24/7. The constant tick-tock is driving me nuts. I need to find a silent clock design.

John
    That is a good looking clock.

Take heart, give it a week or so and you will no longer hear the tick-tock. When our grandfather clock came to our house, the first few nights were to say the least restless. The clock chimes every 15 minutes. After about a week we were sleeping fine and the clock was still chiming every 15 minutes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That is super cool John. I bought plans for a similar clock when I bought my Stinger. I haven’t got any further on it – there’s always something else on the to-do list.

You mention tool path direction affecting tolerances. Is that a result of cutter deflection?
    I think so Bruce; can't think of any other variable that would do it. It only happens on pocket tool paths where the bit is only cutting on one side. On profile cuts where the bit is supported on both sides it doesn't seem to make any difference. But when doing those pocket cuts for the holes it makes a significant difference. If I cut in the climb cut direction with a 1/8" endmill a 5.0 mm hole would measure less than 4.9 mm and be tapered. With a conventional cut I had to undercut the holes by at least 0.002" not to exceed 5.0 mm. There was still a little taper in the hole, but not nearly as much.

John

Thanks Lee. I take no credit for the design, only in the choice of woods and determination to see it through to a working clock.

We'll see about getting used to it. I hope you're right. My wife thinks some sort of back panel would make it look better. I'm looking at that idea as a way to add some sound absorption/isolation from the wall. I think a lot of the sound it makes is being amplified by its rigid attachment to the wall. Also, the weight is far heavier than what's actually needed, and that must be adding to the noise it makes. The mass of the weight is 3.5 Kg. The designer told me, after the fact, that 1.5 Kg is sufficient if the mechanism moves easily. I plan to cut the weight down to 2 Kg and expect a reduction in noise. Hopefully, doing both and just living with it will make it more tolerable. If not, it will be a nice, silent, wall sculpture.

John

Thanks Mark, and thanks for the referral to Longitude. Looks like a good read and a copy is in my cart on Amazon.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Hopefully, doing both and just living with it will make it more tolerable. If not, it will be a nice, silent, wall sculpture.

John
    Rather than let it be sculpture, I would be happy to store it on a wall at my house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute