Thread: Waterfall Console Table - Join? Not long enough?

Waterfall Console Table - Join? Not long enough?

Wife wants a console table for behind sofa. Be 10-12” wide and Between 60-70” long.

I immediately thought of using Sapele and doing a waterfall edge. Give me an excuse to cut a 45 with my tracksaw.

Possible issue: I want it 70” long and 32” tall, I’d need boards 12ft long. Thats the only way to waterfall right? The other way is just a 45 miter by not cutting the legs from the same board? Also, might not find 12” wide boards, I suppose joining together isn’t an issue.

Yes, the best match will be with one continuous piece. You should be able to find 12" x12'+ boards in sapele with a bit of searching. Gluing for width can work depending on the figure.

I've bought 8/4 sapele roughsawn boards that were over 12' long and over 12" wide.

Which tracksaw do you have? Festool's smaller tracksaw will not cut through 8/4 lumber when set at 45 degrees. You'd need the bigger tracksaw to do that. I actually bought the big specifically to make waterfall ends from 8/4 lumber.

Slightly off the point.
    When did we all start saying "waterfall" instead of grain wrapping or continuous grain.

I would also note that a section of Sapele 12 feet long and 12 inches wide could get very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Slightly off the point.
    When did we all start saying "waterfall" instead of grain wrapping or continuous grain.....
    I think when interior decorators started using the term. They didn't know a woodworker's vocabulary, and invented their own.

Slightly off the point.
    When did we all start saying "waterfall" instead of grain wrapping or continuous grain.

I would also note that a section of Sapele 12 feet long and 12 inches wide could get very expensive.
    $7.50-$9/bf for 8/4 sapele. Didn’t think that was bad. $200 roughly in lumber. Maybe another $75 if I decide to run a 70” shelf.

Slightly off the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think when interior decorators started using the term. They didn't know a woodworker's vocabulary, and invented their own.
    "Waterfall" is a reference to a specific design where the top surface wraps down towards the floor and is not specific to wood surfaces. Wrapping the grain around a box is not a waterfall design.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    $7.50-$9/bf for 8/4 sapele.
    That does seem like a pretty good price as I just paid $10 bf for 8/4 walnut and we usually have good walnut supply locally.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    "Waterfall" is a reference to a specific design where the top surface wraps down towards the floor and is not specific to wood surfaces. Wrapping the grain around a box is not a waterfall design.

I know why it's called waterfall. I was asking when grain following wasn't good enough anymore.
    I think the others got it right when they said the designers/decorators needed a new word for their clients, not knowing or caring that we all understood what grain wrapping or following means.

It may be that when I hear waterfall table I think river table and that's why I don't like the term.