Thread: I just love clear Walnut

I just love clear Walnut

I milled a black walnut log for cash today. While I like the cash, I would much rather have just a quarter of the wood that came out of this log. It was 24" diameter at the small end and 75" long, and yielded a calculated 155 bf of 5/4 and 12/4 lumber and two semicircular opening cuts that will be good for benches. One small knot near the center was the only defect. Just amazing wood.

It's stickered on one of my racks until the guy comes for it. Maybe he'll forget.

John

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that’s a proper table top. 3 board top look the best to me. Thats a text book set cathedral grain surrounded buy rift and quarter grain.
    A nice bath of Rubio monocoat pure oil it’s as good as it gets.
    Ive become sensitive to walnut. Only dreaming
    Thanks for sharing John
    Aj

I agree Andrew. To get those almost perfect cathedral patterns, I made sure to get the center of the log on both ends parallel with the bunks on the mill. You can just see the jack under the far end near the head of the mill that I used to lift it up so it was at the same height as the large end. And I must have rolled the log at least 5 times to work around the center to get the most face grain lumber as possible, except for the legs where I cut three slabs 3" thick at the center. The outer two will be most rift sawn while the center cut is quarter sawn. I think there will be enough lumber for two tables. They should be pretty special with such consistent grain and color, all from the same log.

John

That is sweet John. My friend is bringing his mill in in a couple weeks to handle the BW I cut some weeks ago. My butt log is 24x98” and clear. Stay tuned, please. There will be questions.

Beautiful wood. You sir are an artist.

My goodness. Those are three of the most perfect , matched walnut boards I have ever seen. Make something nice.

John, thanks for that “center on the bunks” suggestion. My friend is bringing his mill in to my place on Thur. Honestly, I’m kinda in a dilemma. Actually, very much of a dilemma as to how to process this fine piece of walnut. My log is 8’ and then a 6’ that went up to the three branch split. You did 5/4 and 12/4 on this log. Was the 5/4 more to the outside of the log or the inside? Pretty sure the devil is in the details. Much obliged for any guidance.

Hi Jack. Yes, I cut the 5/4 mostly on the outside of the log, rolling the log to keep the center centered as much as possible. Then I cut the 8/4 until the remaining cant was maybe 10" wide. Then I cut 5/4 slices out of that cant, starting with the clearest face/best grain on top.

John

Thanks,John