Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phantom CNC

phantom CNC

Hello

Checking into ordering a CNC again. The first one did not end well. I did see that Phantom has the 4x4 for around 10'Grand. Seems almost to be to be true. Not much about them on you tube. I'm would guess its a import machine that they take out of the shipping container and go over them before shipping them out to the customer? Seems like you get a lot for the money. Just wonder long term support will be.

I had not heard of the Phantom before. I did find this youtube video comparing the Phantom to the Avid. I have not watched the video so have no idea if the reviewer is biased towards Phantom (or not). I expect this is a Chinese import, don't know if it is a rebranded generic or not. I own several of the Avid machines and am very happy with them. I have also found that Avid offers great support and technical advise when needed.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjruXNz_9hk

phantom vs avid.jpg

By the way, the comments to the video I linked to above are very informative and do shed some light on this Chinese import. I expect some of them may be more telling than actually watching the video.
    David

The guy who made that video is listed as "Phantom dealer/content creator" for on their website. Might be biased....
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-16-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    The guy who made that video is listed as "Phantom dealer/content creator" for on their website. Might be biased....
    I watched the video. There is some good info in it although I found it very biased.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Richard - I didn't watch the video but I figured as much, as just fast forwarding to see a few screen shots there seemed to be more footage of the Phantom than the Avid.
    Thanks for that.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I watched the video. There is some good info in it although I found it very biased.
    Bruce - I did read most of the comments and assumed as much as far as bias. One of the common themes had to do with the robustness (curb weight) of the Phantom compared to the Avid. I also learned that the Phantom uses gear drive as opposed to the Avid belt drive, the Avid being the more accurate/repeatable system. I have been using my AvidCNC Pro 4848 for around 4 years now with no complaints. It doesn't dance around the floor as some of the comments suggested. I originally thought about building a heavy duty welded structure for the table, but decided to try the Avid leg kit first. It seems plenty rigid to me for the work I do. And very accurate cuts as well.

I also am extremely pleased with the Avid customer support. They have been extremely prompt at either returning my phone calls or answering emails. My first Avid machine (Pro 4848) was pretty much problem free and smooth sailing, so didn't really need any customer support. My second Avid machine (Pro 4824) I purchased many of the parts "A la carte" as I was replacing the Avid contoller/Mach3 combo with the Centroid Acorn/CNC12 controller/software along with an atc water cooled spindle.

I originally was giving serious consideration to the Stinger II 4x4, but the shipping crate was so large that it wouldn't fit onto my 18 ft. flat bed car hauler trailer. I would have needed to hire a rigging company with fork lifts to move it for me, so in the end I opted for the Avid - which was actually quite a bit of fun to assemble and calibrate. So as a hobby guy with a small shop - the Avid machines suite my needs just fine.

The review linked to below plus some of Frank Howarth's reviews really sold me on my original CNC Router Parts (now AvidCNC) table.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-E5UDm4gVA

got it made.jpg

I did see that video also with him pushing it side to side like that. I would not think that is a standard operation problem of a cnc router. Avid is on the top of my list also. I like that it could be broke down and moved easily. The camaster would be 20 grand I'm guessing with a spindle. I did watch Izzy Swan YouTube channel and he has one. Again not much info on them yet. The axiom elite is also on the list but the 4x4 is also 16 grand. Getting about out of the budget. Thanks All

Dan - I didn't watch the video. But I would expect if it was assembled with some of the bolts loose or missing one could push it side to side and get some motion. Not with my Avid table, it is rock solid. If it was a real concern, then it could be bolted to the floor and boxed in or reinforced. But not really necessary.
    David

Ive been following them for about 6 months. I too was surprised by the pricing etc. apparently J Katz Moses got one today. At IWF I sought them out to look at the machine. Busy booth, probably due to features for price. It looked both well built and cheaply made (some of the parts, buttons, lights, looked cheap). The unit I saw had atc, autolube, rollers, etc for about 15k (show price) in a 4x8. I haven't seen a real unbiased review or a beakdown of the spindle or other internals.

I watched part of it, seems like your typical Chinese import. I would go with a known source thats been on the market for a few years.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Dan, I don't see why it being a Chinese import makes it bad per say, assuming it is. I think the larger problem, and to your point Bill, is that these units are so large and expensive that it's difficult to get unbiased empirical testing. I.e. side by side testing, or at least a quantifiable set of tests. Because of that it's safest to, again as Bill suggested, buy from a vendor with a good reputation. I will say, after seeing them, the Laguna, and the Camaster all within a few minutes of each other, I felt pretty good about Camaster's fit, finish, and quality in the small 3-axis CNC space. (in other words they look better in video and photos than they did in person)

Dan i would be more than glad to help you find something that will both fill your needs as well as get you the best bang for your buck.
    Let me know if you would like me to help you out.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure on which way I want to go. I'm wanting a 3x4 or 4x4 machine as I think anything else I will regret that I did not go larger in size. I like the camaster Stinger ll but I feel the price will be 20 grand with a spindle. A bit more than I want to be at. The avid 48 pro with a spindle will be around 12. More in my price range. That is why I brought up the phantom as it's around the same price as the avid. I do like the turn key with the camaster.

I don’t know anything about the Phantom - it looks like a solid machine. The Avid has a lot of fans and a good rep.
    I have a 9-year-old Camaster Stinger w/spindle. I ran some parts on it yesterday and it is just as accurate as the day I bought it. The WinCnc software is industrial grade and so far has been bullet proof. I’m a cry-once guy that has been very happy with my decision.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney