Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminum siding questions

Blog Entries
    I have helped quite few homeowners wade through product failures, recalls, and class action law suits. It is unpleasant and unrewarding work. Several have had huge losses. I have a big ACQ lumber failure law suit still unsettled. It may ruin me.

I digress ... Regarding the primer for aluminum siding. I did not prime. The paint is S.W. ProMar 100 (now A 100) it has been on for over 30 years. One coat applied fairly thick with an airless sprayer.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-14-2022 at 2:35 PM. Reason: the primer question
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I have several clients involved the class action law suits involving LP smart side. LP claims to have fixed it. In our area the housing industry is moving away from wood products for exterior applications.

I just finished a big repair on 9 year old Smart Side. Lots to read on the web about it. As I stated, they claim to have fixed it. The problems are ongoing. It is proprietary OSB with a proprietary coating and a 20 year warrantee. It might last 20 years in Arizona. Lots and lots of 10 year old Smart Side goes to our landfill every day. I still do siding, I only use James Hardie products.
    looking for the latest about the recall and class action...

Not finding much current talk on the web. Our lumber yard stopped carrying it some time ago. A spokesperson for LP has said this,

sales of LP's SmartSide fiber-based siding, produced at the Roaring River plant, have continued to decline and the company decided to discontinue production of fiber-based siding in the U.S. by the end of 2020.
    My understanding is the strand based Smartside came out first and then fiber based later. I would never use the fiber based product. My house and garage have the strand based product on them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    My understanding is the strand based Smartside came out first and then fiber based later. I would never use the fiber based product. My house and garage have the strand based product on them.
    I think it may the other way around and that there are more than two versions of Smart Side.

The LP Smart Side that Is fiber based is the good stuff. The strand stuff is the problematic product.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-14-2022 at 6:50 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think it may the other way around and that there are more than two versions of Smart Side.

The LP Smart Side that Is fiber based is the good stuff. The strand stuff is the problematic product.
    Why did LP discontinue the fiber based product in 2020 if it is supposed to be a superior product to strand based?

Blog Entries
    The product my clients are struggling with is an OSB product. It is called LP Smart Side and and was sold at the lumber yard. I thought the OSB version of Smart Side had been discontinued several years before 2020. I think the Roaring River plant was the last of the OSB version production. The Smart Side that is currently in our Menard's store is very much like James Hardie products. I have used smart side planks from Menard's. They are not recognizable as being a wood product. They seem like they will be durable.

Images of Smart Side Fiber, It is a good product.

IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0742.jpg

I will get some images of Smart Side OSB, including problems.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-15-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: images
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    The product my clients are struggling with is an OSB product. It is called LP Smart Side and and was sold at the lumber yard. I thought the OSB version of Smart Side had been discontinued several years before 2020. I think the Roaring River plant was the last of the OSB version production. The Smart Side that is currently in our Menard's store is very much like James Hardie products. I have used smart side planks from Menard's. They are not recognizable as being a wood product. They seem like they will be durable.

Images of Smart Side Fiber, It is a good product.

IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0742.jpg

I will get some images of Smart Side OSB, including problems.
    I have been back at one of houses with the old version of LP Smart-side. I do not know why Louisiana Pacific Kept that name for their new product.

-6386722511541081137.jpg