Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish Damage from Hand Lotion

Blog Entries
    It isn't just hand lotions that will soften finishes. My DIL discovered that the lacquer finish on the headboard, I made for them, was being softened by their new memory foam pillows. Removing the pillows allowed the finish to harden up again. Makes you wonder what memory foam is doing to your lungs and skin.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a NYW project Martha Washington's candle stick table in my shop I made for my wife. The finish on it was ruined by one of those plugin oil-filled deodorizers. One Christmas she removed it, set it on top of the turned table so she could plug in the Christmas tree lights. I have tried twice to repair the finish. The finish is brushing lacquer. The last time I sanded the whole tabletop down not just the damaged area. I have been dragging my feet to get my point across to her about those damned deodorizers. She throws them all out. A few months later she buys some new ones. This is Ken in Idaho.....looking down.......shaking his head.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Ken

This is Warren from Toronto or almost. Show your wife this

dfgdfg.JPG

Yes, get rid of those plug-in air fresheners. I read a recent post by a lady in my home town who's cat almost died from something in them. Fortunately, she figured out the source of the problem in time, removed them, and the cat recovered. If it's bad for cats, it's probably bad for humans, too.

John

I did IT work in an insurance office for 16 years. I had to replace many keyboards due to the ladies who used lots of hand lotion. All the numbers and letters disappeared after a while. Luckily, keyboards are not expensive as I sure replaced a lot of them.... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)