Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with possible wood ID

Help with possible wood ID

Looking for some help with wood identification.

The wood in question is being reclaimed for at least the second time. It was being used as a floor in a barn that was in the family for decades. Prior to being a floor the wood appears to have been part of a large wooden tank. The pieces were cut with angles on the sides like the staves of a wooden pail and some pieces had markings on them with numbers we believe indicated depth in feet. The wood is soft and has no noticeable odor when being cut, at least to my old nose. As seen in the pictures it has a very tight grain and a honey brown color and doesn't feel very heavy for it's size. The piece in the picture is about 8"W by 42" long and 1 3/4" thick after I ran it through the planer.

I'm guessing the wood is over 100 years old. The barn was torn down about 12 years ago and the barn was by my parents house for over 70 years.

IMG_0759.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0756.jpgIMG_0754.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Chestnut, perhaps.

I vote Cypress

Blog Entries
    I am with Mike. Cypress. I am fairly confident. Compare it to the swivel chairs that were posted recently.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-11-2022 at 6:11 PM. Reason: What Mike said
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think it’s cypress ,too . Nice old growth stuff.

I'd like to make some frames with the wood. Are there any finishing concerns? I'd probably use waterborne or wipe on oil based poly.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Cypress is pretty soft. That alone would differentiate from Chestnut. Cypress was used in water tanks.

The old growth cypress is hard and usually a lot heavier than the light weight cypress that’s more available. Guys who have only used the
    new stuff sometimes don’t recognize old cypress .

Blog Entries
    I am seeing 50 growth rings per inch. Its lovely wood!
    Best Regards, Maurice

It could be cypress.
    Might it also be butternut?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It could be cypress.
    Might it also be butternut?
    No , I did not know what butternut looked like, so I looked it up. The wood is definitely cypress.

Looks like some Butternut I have in my stash. Mine is soft, light and somewhat stringy when machined.

I also vote Cypress. Looks like some that I have but not as old growth as what you show. But I'm pretty confident it's Cypress.

How about Black Ash?

That really looks like old growth cypress to me. I have some here in the shop that is very similar. Plus, as others have stated cypress was historically used for water tanks (along with white oak)