Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking after spinal surgery (fusion)?

Woodworking after spinal surgery (fusion)?

Has anyone here had a spinal fusion? (L5 to S1)...I injured myself 5 months ago (bottom 3 discs) and although the 2 top ones are recovering, there seems to be nothing left of the 3rd disc. Needless to say, I'm almost useless in the shop. I spoke with 2 surgeons already and speaking to a 3rd next month. Was hoping for disc replacement (I understand they do it in Europe) but I'm told it's not done here (USA) in the location that I have a problem. My poor wife has been my pack mule and I'm not liking it.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out my level of functionality after the fusion.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had spinal fusion in 2003 and took a bit to recover. I am still enjoying my shop and woodworking. I had no choice as several of the disks were not functional. Yes, you will need to be careful after surgery. If you want more info, please send me a message.

My dog also has had spinal surgery after rupturing a disk and is doing fine now.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 10-10-2022 at 7:45 AM.

I'll listen to anyone that's gone through this. One never really expects something like this to happen to them.

I have had long term lower back issues since the mid-90’s with recurring pain even after two relatively minor diskectomies. I had a fusion in 2015 and I have been much more stable. I still suffer from sciatica with occasional muscle spasms in the back of my thighs, but I’m able to do most things without pain or limits. I do get tired after standing for long periods, but that could be age versus a back issue.

I had two cervical disks removed and fused in 2009. I think they used cadaver bone for the spacer but am not sure. I also have a titanium spider looking thing screwed into the vertebrae which makes the joint rigid. The surgeon who operated pioneered doing the surgery using a microscope. Before the surgery, I worried about loss of flexibility but it has not been much of a problem.

I had little bone spurs (spinal stenosis) that were like needles into the nerve branch exiting the vertebrae. The result was severe pain, numbness in several fingers, and weakness in the arm. The surgery eliminated the pain almost completely. Some numbness and weakness remain. The nerve branch was damaged according to the surgeon. He came by the recovery room immediately after I was conscious to see if I had movement in my arm.

I had a very long, conservative recovery process with some physical therapy involved, but now, I am able to work in the shop without much limitation. My age is more a problem than my neck. Today, I will be milling several 2x12 and 2x10 oak boards 12’ long into 2x4 strips. This is excessive but I have to get it done. I need some full 12’ lengths for handrail. The rest can be crosscut before milling. After this project I am going to build something really small, like jewelry boxes.

I hope your surgery works out well, at least as well as mine. For the most part, I think my experience is too long ago and too different to be helpful. The main take away from my experience was that my situation was really bad and now it is ok.

Man do I feel right at home in this thread. In December 1977 a drunk driver ran a red light and t-boned me in my drivers door. I was 21 home on x-mas break from school. Broke C1 & C2 pulled four nerves from the left side of the spinal column due to the whiplash. All my ribs on the left side were broken and lung was collapsed. Four major muscles in my right shoulder are there, but don't receive the nerve impulses, so they are non functional. I've done pretty good over the years, some constant tingling in my left hand and left foot.

Did pretty good until 50, then some PT helped etc... Last two years been struggling with stiffness in my right neck due to arthritis growing around where the nerve goes through the joint. Chiropractic helped before this, but can't do it anymore. I had a cervical rhizotomy (radio frequency) procedure @ 6 months ago to deaden the nerve and this helped. Biggest thing for me is 3-4 times per week I must do my PT exercises to keep my shoulder moving and muscles stretched out.

Still do everything I used to do, but as I age my strength is decreasing, and I would love to get in the gym, but not sure how this would aggravate my stiffness?

Oh well, all part of aging. I tell everyone I am doing great, if it wasn't for genetics and car accidents that weren't my fault I would be aging great!

Brian
    Brian

John, I cannot provide you specific guidance relative to the spinal fusion thing and how it will affect you directly...no experience...but "thinking logically", a lot of the challenge will be around materials movement and management. That means "working smart" and using things like mobile surfaces to move things around and to minimize the need to do a lot of bending that would place stress where it shouldn't go. It's not dissimilar to what many of us learn to do as we become, um...more mature...and have to adapt accordingly. But most importantly, talk to your physician(s) about both recovery and "life after surgery" so you understand clearly what you need to be concerned about.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

About 6 years ago I had a fusion of L5 to S1. Cadaver bone grafts were used in the surgery. I was back in the shop within probably 3-4 months but with limitations on lifting but I don't remember the limits. My only recovery orders were to walk as much as possible which I did religiously. I recommend you use a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon.

Procedures continue to improve for these types of prcedures so you just need to find a board certified neurosurgeon and check his background and references. Shouldn't be too difficult in NJ.

I had an L4-5 laminectomy and fusion for symptoms of pain radiating to the right leg in 2014. I was 70 years old. The recovery was slow because of my poor conditioning, but not much pain. While I have other issues affecting my walking, only in the last 2-3 months have I had recurrent radiating pain. It is in a different distribution from that of 2014, implying pinching at another level. Woodworking and occasional lifting (40 pound bags of birdseed, cat litter) have not been a problem. My forward bending is more limited because of the fusion.
    It is my understanding that surgery to relieve radiographically defined nerve compression with associated neurological symptoms is more successful than surgery for just localized back pain. It's sort of like burnt wood on a rip cut. Could be misaligned fence, too slow a feed rate, blade misalignment....the better you exclude other possibilities, the better the result.

One of the issues after having spinal fusion is the wear on the vertebrae adjacent to the fusion. Those areas will be taking up for the mobility loss of the fusion. It is a good idea to protect them from overuse or strain.

All spine fusions are likely a bit different with different causes and outcomes. Listen to your doctor and physical therapist.

John,

I had spinal stenoisis surgery in 2013 from L2 - L5 by Dr. Patrick Roth. I see you are in NJ. He's located Oradell in northern NJ. Here is the link https://njbrainspine.com/ . I have 3 herniated disc that have now fused themselves. I actualy lost 1 1/2 inches in height over the past 5 years. After the surgery I had some back pain but after PT it was a lot better. Coming up to 10 years post surgery and I have good and bad days. As long as I keep up with the back exercises he gave me along with my PT I doing great. He is one great Dr. I had 5 other opinions before I found him.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Thanks to everyone that replied. This isn't an easy pill to swallow.

I second what Jim Becker said. You may well have some deficit after the surgery and making material handling easier will help you get back in the shop. Machines and transfer carts at the same height and/or an adjustable height hydraulic cart are worth looking at. The best investment I have made in that direction was a Crazy Horse dolly. https://westoakstudios.com/events/crazy-horse-dolly/ Power feeds on some machines may help as well. Good luck with whatever happens.

IMO the result will depend on the shape you are in before the surgery along with how hard you are willing to work on your rehab. I have had six surgeries at L5-S1, including two fusions. I developed a staph infection from the first surgery and the rest of the surgeries were trying to fix the damage. I have other medical conditions that also complicated things.

I am 63 and work in the shop every day without any big issues related to my spine. I am religious about staying in shape, doing my exercises & walking.

Good luck & I hope that it is a huge success.

Thanks to all for sharing your success and challenges.