Thread: moving dj-20 jointer

moving dj-20 jointer

HEy folks, good afternoon!

so im moving in two weeks and have broken down the shop.
    looking at the jointer im a little concerned.
    its on a dolly with wheels.
    so i can roll it up the truck ramp, but im just worried that bouncing around
    in the truck is gonna mess up the beds.
    any ideas on how to pack it for shipping?
    or should it be ok like it is on the dolly??

regards Eric

I think that it should be okay, but if you're still concerned, why not make a few braces for the ends of the jointer? That would be where I'd expect the most issues with bumps. Something like a 2x4 clamped to the end that goes to the floor of the moving truck should be sufficient.

Blog Entries
    My primary worry would be the motor. Make sure it is blocked and cannot move around. Heavy things that are made to set are not so good at being moved without proper reinforcement ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hey Eric, I just moved a Dj-20. I used an enclosed trailer, removed the dolly and tied it town with four straps- two wrapped around the table at each end, two around the cabinet in either direction. It was just fine. Just make sure the tables are locked. You can also lay a 2x10 across the jointer bed if you want even distribution of the tie down force and to eliminate the possibility of the edges of the jointer shearing the straps. Hope this helps.

When I lived my DJ20 clone I took it apart into 2 pieces, but if you can roll it on and roll it off, keep it together. I wouldn’t be too worried about it if it’s strapped properly to the wall.