Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino DF500 joint creep

Domino DF500 joint creep

I always do my mortise from the same face and maintain that during assy. I have some height differences even though I am not changing the setup other than on short members I use tight width and longer pieces I use medium width mortise. Sample test joint was flat, actual the short side is a little high. Sample process was same mortise width as actual. Can be sanded out, but ... is this due to the different mortise width. Has me stumped.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Brian

Could be the fence slipping. Make sure that lever is really tight or better yet get a domiplate from Seneca

Fence slipping could be an issue, but "most likely" the tool was not level when cutting some of the mortises. This is REALLY easy to inadvertently do. DAMHIKT!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fence slipping could be an issue, but "most likely" the tool was not level when cutting some of the mortises. This is REALLY easy to inadvertently do. DAMHIKT!!!

Ding, ding, ding.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Domino machine is not fool proof. There are skills to learn. For higher accuracy, I like the machine sitting on something, not hanging in the air.

same with lamelloes

Push in the tool further back.
    Feel the cord in part of your hand. This tip was given to me by a Festool demonstration guy.
    I tried it and it cured my misalignment.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So how to salvage my work? Redo existing mortise or hand plane joints afterwards? Thanks brian

I had frustrating results for years with biscuit joiner (Dewalt), and eventually figured out that the fence was slipping and brutal tightening with pliers was required.

You can plug the mortises and recut if you haven't glued up. Grain might cause the bit to deviate a bit, maybe try slower feed rate.

I bought a new Domino 500 a couple months ago. The mortise it cut was not quite parallel to the workpiece both using the fence and registering from the base. That created a joint higher on one edge and lower on the other. Festool support recommended returning and I have not decided if I want to try another. Is the height difference you speak of the same across the joint?

Great tipis below.

To salvage your work, plug and flush cut a domino into the bad hole. Re drill.

Happens to me sometimes. Also make sure your surfaces are dust free when mounding the tool to the piece.

Also, use dust control. Failure to use dc can also cause imperfect holes.

Last, to reiterate a post below, grip the tool far back when plunging- almost around the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Great tipis below.

To salvage your work, plug and flush cut a domino into the bad hole. Re drill.

Happens to me sometimes. Also make sure your surfaces are dust free when mounding the tool to the piece.

Also, use dust control. Failure to use dc can also cause imperfect holes.

Last, to reiterate a post below, grip the tool far back when plunging- almost around the plug.
    How would I identify which holes are off? I can find joints that are off, but how do you determine which set of mortises are off? Thanks Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    How would I identify which holes are off? I can find joints that are off, but how do you determine which set of mortises are off? Thanks Brian

Put a domino in one hole and join the pieces. If they are out of plane, that is one that requires repair. Repeat through all mortises in question. I have gotten better with the Domino. Most often my problems start when I do not take the time to properly support the machine during the operation. Much like trying to run a router along a narrow surface, additional support is your key to success.

I think I am not alone in having a set of milled up boards or beams used for various blocking tasks around the shop.

Caul Org (4).jpg

I clamp the part in a vise, clamp a beam or board to it to provide a greater bearing surface and cut the mortise.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-08-2022 at 7:44 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Not awake yet this morning. The high side of the joint would be off. brian
    Brian