Thread: Delta 28-276 issue

Talking Delta 28-276 issue

Hello all,

I recently bought a Delta 28-276 14 inch bandsaw from a local school auction. It needed a little work but I ran into an issue with the blade and wheels. Whenever I place the blade on the wheels loose it spins freely and with no issues. As soon as I put tension on the blade it "binds up" and sounds horrible like something is rubbing sometimes where the wheels won't turn. I have isolated to something with the top wheel and the tilt and tensioner. i removed the top wheel and but in order to do this I had to pry and pull on the wheel pretty hard to get it off. I did find some wear/rub marks on the hinge and top wheel. Then when trying to place the top wheel on the shaft again I had to hammer it on lightly. Any suggestions? Should I replace the shaft hinge assembly? I hate to scrap the machine the rest of it is like new condition.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
    Mike

I assume you checked all the bearings. Also check the upper spindle and spindle assemble. They will bend and break if over tensioned or left under tension for long periods. My delta clone upper spindle assembly was made out of some cheap metal and did not last long before to broke, bought a replacement that was steel and all has been fine since.

Blog Entries
    Right, the top wheel bracket cracking is a common failure on abused 14" clones. Fortunately parts are pretty available although not from Delta. I would check this first. I replaced one on Dad's 1940's Delta 14" when the blade wouldn't tension so he just kept turning .

If the wheel hinge/bracket are intact I would look to the fit of the wheel on the axle. Bearing shot? Center hole out of round? Any wear marks where things are rubbing?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-07-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Right, the top wheel bracket cracking is a common failure on abused 14" clones. Fortunately parts are pretty available although not from Delta. I would check this first. I replaced one on Dad's 1940's Delta 14" when the blade wouldn't tension so he just kept turning .
    Exactly this! But often the bracket is severely bent before the cracking starts. All caused by over tensioning the blade and the pot metal material of that assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    I assume you checked all the bearings. Also check the upper spindle and spindle assemble. They will bend and break if over tensioned or left under tension for long periods. My delta clone upper spindle assembly was made out of some cheap metal and did not last long before to broke, bought a replacement that was steel and all has been fine since.
    Bearing looks good but the shaft has some play on it. I found shaft hinge assembly to replace it with on Amazon. My guess is that being at a school it was either over tightened or left tightened for too long. Thanks for you input!

Thanks for your input Dave, Glenn and Richard;
    After further investigation that there was a lot of play on the shaft with top wheel rides on. My guess is it was either over tightened or left too tight for too long. I did buy this from a school so it's hard to know the history. I found a shaft hinge assembly on Amazon I'm going to replace it with.
    Thank you for your input gentleman!
    Mike