Thread: Wallpaper steamer -> steam bending

Blog Entries

Wallpaper steamer -> steam bending

Is there something special about steam bending? Wouldn’t a wallpaper steamer work?

It all depends on the amount of steam it puts out and for how long. Some put out more steam than others. I know, I've had a couple of steamers and have done some wood steaming using a propane burner and a gas can.

I have the Earlex steam generator. It is important to insulate the box you build and use a thermometer.

The music stand legs above were bent this way.

https://www.earlex.com/products/steam-generator-ss77/

The Earlex steam generator that I have is probably about as powerful as a wallpaper steam generator. The only diff is that it has a hose and fittings that allow it to screw into a nipple into whatever box you make

I agree, the more "critical" part of the set up is the box you make. The less volume, the more insulation, the better the steam works.

The other main consideration is the thickness, type, and dry state of your lumber.

All that's to say, yes, a wallpaper steamer will work just fine.

Roger, I have had the misfortune of owning a Wagner wall paper steamer, I have to say the business end of the Wagner wallpaper steamer does not look that different than my Earlex steam generator..

My wife bought a garment steamer at a yard sale and it has worked for me. I was able to bend and form 1/2" x 3" white oak and big leaf maple for legs and aprons for a curved table. Mostly use it to form fishing nets with 1/8" x 3/4" walnut, oak etc.. Steam box is a 6" ABS drain pipe remnant. I've not used a thermometer--what is the recomended temp??

I never use a thermometer. I haven’t needed it. Now for hot pipe bending, knowing the temp of the pipe can be useful. But I’ve never burned something in the steam box.

I bend 1" squares of cherry and walnut that require a full hour of steam at temp. When I first started I had a high failure rate and had to add Insulation to my box. I also had to add a strap.The thermometer was very helpful. It cost $7.

Blog Entries
    Steam exists at a fixed temperature without pressure. It is important to know that your wood is 210 degrees or more through and through before trying your bends. It also needs to stay hot for the whole process. A steamer can be as simple as a hot plate, a coffee can with a length of stove pipe on top, a wad of insulation for a lid, and some hooks inside to hang your wood from. I have steam box plans and steaming time tables in a book. I will try to post a fair use portion on steaming.

It also helps to have air dried or green lumber that is straight grained and plain sawn. I have found Cherry to be fairly difficult, especially if it is kiln dried.

I can't find the book. If I remember correctly the author is John Gardner. He calls for X amount of time in "Live" steam (you want plenty of steam moving through your box and coming out hot).
    I see on the web that Lee Valley and Fine Woodworking have published on the subject.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-08-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

There are several episodes on Engels Coach Shop that show steam bending and it appears he has a pressurized box for steaming the wood. Informative and fun to watch.

My first steam box was 3/4" pine so it was pretty well insulated. I was making bowed drawer fronts from 1 1/8" thick ash 44" long and up to 9" wide.

Used a thermometer in a low point in the box. After steam started leaking out the vent took about 30 minutes to heat that low point to 200 degrees. So yes a thermometer is a good idea.

It's not a lot of bow but it really makes the cabinet special.

Tool Cabinet.JPG