Thread: Porter Cable Plunge Router Mystery

Porter Cable Plunge Router Mystery

I'm attempting - unsuccessfully - to separate a old Porter Cable router (#6902 type 8) from its plunge base (#6931). I have loosened the barrel fitting in the housing, but the router will not budge. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try throwing or putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, maybe the shrinkage will break the bond, perhaps apply some heat to the base also.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I'm attempting - unsuccessfully - to separate a old Porter Cable router (#6902 type 8) from its plunge base (#6931). I have loosened the barrel fitting in the housing, but the router will not budge. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Here's the manual from Porter-cable which mentions an locking plate that has to be moved.
    https://www.toolservicenet.com/i/POR...384509_690.pdf

Ive used Porter-Cable routers. I do remember it getting stuck in the base because a small screw fell out of the part on the router that travels it up or down.
    I had to use Thor’s hammer to get it loose.
    I use Festool router now.
    Good Luck
    Aj

When you loosened the socket head screw, did you tap on it to drive the wedge that holds the motor in place down? I would chuck a short length of 1/2" round steel in chuck, bottomed out against bottom of collet and then tap on end of steel. Maybe an over night spray of WD 40 on barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Ive used Porter-Cable routers. I do remember it getting stuck in the base because a small screw fell out of the part on the router that travels it up or down.
    I had to use Thor’s hammer to get it loose.
    I use Festool router now.
    Good Luck
    Andrew, you brought up one of my own nightmarish experiences . That traveling screw thing is greatly helped by
    getting some “ never- seize “ in the spiral grooves of the aluminum case.

Thank you John, appreciate posting the manual.
    Last edited by Vince Shriver; 10-07-2022 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Try throwing or putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, maybe the shrinkage will break the bond, perhaps apply some heat to the base also.
    Update: Four or Five minutes with a heat gun around the base, and it slipped apart quick and slick. Many thanks Doug; got a router now and learned something to boot. Very cool. Vince

Update: Four or Five minutes with a heat gun around the base, and it slipped apart quick and slick. Many thanks Doug; got a router now and learned something to boot. Very cool. Vince
    Glad I could help, I'm guessing the body of the router and the base are dissimilar metals and if left in contact for a period of time you can get some galvanic corrosion which sticks them together. A little heat or cold can sometimes cause enough differential expansion or contraction to break the bond. Might be wise to store them separated if storing for long periods of time like months or years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Andrew, you brought up one of my own nightmarish experiences . That traveling screw thing is greatly helped by
    getting some “ never- seize “ in the spiral grooves of the aluminum case.
    lil' paste wax?