Thread: Help oneway 16/42

Help oneway 16/42

The spindle of my Oneway 16/42 gets almost too hot to touch after just running it for a few minutes and I wonder if anyone here has personally changed out the bearings? If so is it something that someone who is handy can do or do I need a dancing shop or must I return it to Oneway? Shipping cost would be nuts!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I'd suggest calling OneWay and asking them for printed instructions. I've changed out bearings and it isn't all that difficult. But you need to do it in a way that doesn't put stress on the bearings. So, call or email the mfr. (Or google Replacing Bearings on OneWay lathe) and see if you get any hits.)

Thanks Brice. I have done all you suggest. I was just wondering if anyone here had done this.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

I'm getting ready to send in my 24-36 insert. If I understand correctly, there is a process to preload the front bearings. I plan on letting the experts do that.

Hi Peter - both friends that have Oneway lathes have sent the bearing cartridge in to Oneway for new bearings - mostly for the preload reason stated above.

Thanks Jeffery. I understand that the preload is set by tightening the lock nut to align with the winged washer. Doesn't sound too tough to me but I guess we will see. I was speaking to the lathe 'guy' at Oneway last week, he helped me get the correct bearings, he was most helpful as I guess there has been a change since I bought my lathe, it seems strange that he never mentioned any difficultly in changing the bearings and no reference to a difficulty doing the preload.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair;[URL="tel:3217424"
    3217424[/URL]]it seems strange that he never mentioned any difficultly in changing the bearings and no reference to a difficulty doing the preload.
    Not that strange - some people shy away from mechanical repairs - sounds like its a petty simple fix. I'd go for it with the advice of Oneway. Sounds like the preload has a built-in gauge.

Agree with you Jeffery, me I like to do stuff myself and my local Oneway guy assures me that, as you say, it has a built in method to pre-load the one bearing.
    Pete

All done and reassembled. The only part I needed help with was pressing the large bearing on the shaft. Everything else was easy to assemble. I am a little surprised at the ease the double bearing came off and slide back on the shaft. It would seem to me that the shaft might spin in the bearings?
    Pete

I posted a link to a video by Keith Fenner before where he replaces the bearing(s) on a Oneway lathe. Here it is again.

Thanks, that is the video I watched before doing mine. Very helpful!
    Pete