Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing bolt for chuck installation on FS41

Removing bolt for chuck installation on FS41

I'm trying to remove the bolt to install a chuck in it's place. The bolt isn't budging. I've removed the two set screws for the bolt and I am loosing (or trying to loosen) in the direction of the head rotation. I tried some penetrating oil and a breaker bar but it seems to be locked in due to the centrifugal force of use. A bit worried about breaking something with more force. Any suggestions on loosening this?

IMG_0613 (1).jpg

You can see the installation process here (at 737s):

Blog Entries
    L.H. threads?
    Best Regards, Maurice

The video shows a standard r/h thread, so loosen counter clockwise. Do you have an impact driver?

impact gun will loosen that better than a breaker bar

IIRC it’s a standard RH thread, I had the inverse problem of attempting to remove the mortising chuck from the cutter head so I could install replacement bearings. Only thing that seemed to help was copious quantities of penetrating oil and lots of cussing, the suggestion of a impact wrench sounds like a great idea, since I had the biggest Allen key in the chuck and was striking it with a dead blow that finally loosened up the chuck from the shaft.

+1 for an impact gun. It’s been forever but I seem to recall seeing blue threadlocker from the factory, so you really want to shock the pulley free. Dewalt makes a 1/2” 20V impact driver that would probably make quick work of that thing. Best of luck with it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for the feedback. I also talked to SCM and they advised against using an impact driver instead advising to heat up the element to 700-800 degrees, then spray some PB Blaster into the set screw holes to break the bolt free. Doesn't seem like a great idea to me with the rubber wheels and belts there, but what do I know..

Blog Entries
    I’d use an impact gun, heating it to 800 degrees seems excessive.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Yeah, don’t go to 800°. That’s an odd suggestion considering threadlocker yields at less than 400°F. There would be no reason to use high temperature threadlocker on that bolt.

I can appreciate that bearings don’t like impacts, hence the advice not to use an impact gun, but if torque alone doesn’t free the fastener then some kind of shock is needed.

I don't remember exactly what I did to remove that bolt, but I did find this picture of the event: note the bolt, and impact driver in the background.
    IMHO one of these impact drivers applying a rotational force to the spindle will do no harm to the bearings.
    IMG_2114.jpeg

Blog Entries
    I worked at an engine shop as a yoot, and we used impact guns to disassemble since it is easier on the parts.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I don't remember exactly what I did to remove that bolt, but I did find this picture of the event: note the bolt, and impact driver in the background.
    IMHO one of these impact drivers applying a rotational force to the spindle will do no harm to the bearings.
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    When you released the nut with the impact driver, how did you lock the spindle to prevent movement without damage?

The PB Blaster had no effect, and since those wheels are rubber coated, I didn't heat it up too much. SCM did ask if there was any plastic nearby. I suspect he wasn't familiar with the specifics of this bolt/unit.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    When you released the nut with the impact driver, how did you lock the spindle to prevent movement without damage?

The PB Blaster had no effect, and since those wheels are rubber coated, I didn't heat it up too much. SCM did ask if there was any plastic nearby. I suspect he wasn't familiar with the specifics of this bolt/unit.
    At this point, you have figured out that the documentation that came with this ridiculously expensive machine was less than adequate. At first, I used a scrap of cherry to lock the spindle by jamming the cutter block against the infeed table. At some point, I looked over the hardware that came with the machine, and came to the conclusion that the machined dowel that came in the kit fit perfectly in the hole in the spindle on the inboard side of the spindle (see picture). This locked the cutterhead in position.. I am not sure that this dowel was intended for this purpose (their documentation leaves much to be desired), but it did the job.
    IMG_3438.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    At this point, you have figured out that the documentation that came with this ridiculously expensive machine was less than adequate. At first, I used a scrap of cherry to lock the spindle by jamming the cutter block against the infeed table. At some point, I looked over the hardware that came with the machine, and came to the conclusion that the machined dowel that came in the kit fit perfectly in the hole in the spindle on the inboard side of the spindle (see picture). This locked the cutterhead in position.. I am not sure that this dowel was intended for this purpose (their documentation leaves much to be desired), but it did the job.
    IMG_3438.jpg
    Hi Phil,

I too originally discovered that rod fit the spindle perfectly, however, it bent to a 45 under the pressure of trying to loosen that bolt :/ As far as I can tell there is no documentation regarding the cutter-head, only the table installation. Maybe I'll try again with the 1/2 impact driver. Thanks for your response!

Derek

Still no luck with this and no help from SCM. I did try the 1/2 impact driver, no movement. Maybe I should have gotten a higher torque driver.
    Last edited by derek labian; 10-21-2022 at 6:02 PM.