Thread: Refinishing Restoration Hardware Coffee Table

Refinishing Restoration Hardware Coffee Table

Experts, my 4 year old restoration hardware coffee table has number of marks due to usage/hot cup etc., as you could see in the attached pictures.

I need suggestions on "how i can restore it back?"

Any recommendations/advice on what will be the best option for me to refinish this?

This is in smoked gray oak color.

IMG_1669.jpgIMG_1667.jpgIMG_1668.jpg

Hi Raj,

That's a pretty horrible degradation of a finished table in 4 years, unless you had it outside.

The first thing you need to determine is if the wood is solid or if there is a veneer on it.

If it's solid I'd sand down to bare wood and then color and topcoat as you wish. If you only want to do the top and not the legs, then you'll have some experimenting to match the color, or intentionally go with a contrasting color.
    Mark McFarlane

Thanks Mark for responding, We did put hot drinks etc, but felt that it is not finished/sealed right to ensure daily usage.

The table feels solid wood and is heavy , but RH description mentions "Crafted of oak and fine oak veneers", so i am assuming that they have Oak wood then on top used Veneer. Is there a way i could determine if its veneer or not , and is it recommended to sand an Oak Veneer?

Link to RH Website : https://rh.com/catalog/product/produ...090&sale=false

Thanks
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Hi Raj,

That's a pretty horrible degradation of a finished table in 4 years, unless you had it outside.

The first thing you need to determine is if the wood is solid or if there is a veneer on it.

If it's solid I'd sand down to bare wood and then color and topcoat as you wish. If you only want to do the top and not the legs, then you'll have some experimenting to match the color, or intentionally go with a contrasting color.

Raj, Study the edges of the table top carefully and look to see if the grain of the wood continues as expected on all 4 of the thin edges of the table top, e.g. follow the 'long grain' along the top and see if it ends up as end grain on the edge. End grain basically looks like small dots, like you are looking at the ends of a stack of really skinny straws.

If the description says 'veneer' then the top is the most likely piece to be veneered, it is the cheapest way to get a good looking table top.

Sanding a veneer is very difficult. I consider it impossible given my patience. Some veneers are paper thin and it is very easy to completely sand trough the veneer in small areas and basically destroy the top.

For veneers I have used chemical strippers to scrub off the old finish.

If you can capture a few good photos of the edge of the table top, as close as possible and still getting focus, with good lighting, we might be able to further assist.

Google 'end long face grain' to see some images of different grain orientations.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 10-10-2022 at 9:51 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

I looked at the pics online https://rh.com/catalog/product/produ...090&sale=false and due to the mitered corners it is hard to determine if it is veneer or not. My suspicion is it is veneered.
    Mark McFarlane

Flip it over and take off a foot. Sand aggressively for a short period to see if you sand through.

I have refinished veneered furniture It is possible but dont overdo it. I actually sanded through in a 2" x2" spot my wife actually hand painted the grain back on hardly noticeable now. Basically all you want to do is take the finish down, or mostly down and reapply. I would contact customer service and find out what the finish is then go from there on how to reapply.

And make some coasters