Thread: Engineering of Expensive Toilet Seats

Engineering of Expensive Toilet Seats

In photos they all have the grain going long way. What keeps them from breaking ? Just a good number plastic feet ….that
    achieves that feat ? I’ve thought of making one from accumulated fine mahogany cut-offs . Pieces would be pinch-dogged
    at end grain. Two layers then glued together . Pieces would ,of course, be staggered for strength. When I was kid I
    read that mahogany “always feels warm to the touch” . I tried that ,many times , with my hands discerning no warmth, so
    I ‘m bringing in bigger equipment ! It is a fact that many old seats were made of mahogany. We have had a number of
    requests here about how to use cut-offs ! This post could be the winner !

When I was a kid, I always hated these wood seats because it would actually pinch me due to the flex and gaps of the glued sections. I don't know if it's any different today.

Blog Entries
    Wooden boats are romantic. Wooden toilet seats are not romantic. Plastic boats have solved many problems. Plastic toilet seats are a very fine use for plastic.
    Now a Mahogany toilet seat! ... count me in!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    When I was a kid, I always hated these wood seats because it would actually pinch me due to the flex and gaps of the glued sections. I don't know if it's any different today.
    Aaron , thanks for getting it rolling ! I’m definitely gonna make something. Pretty sure it will be a little different.

one home I bought had a hickory seat and top not sure if its still around. Years ago the handle on the glass top of one of my cooking pots broke. I got an offcut of IPE and put it on then some Watco oil. Its been there I bet over 10 years and nice each times used IPE as good as day one despite all the washings. Last week I accident knocked it off the counter and well humpty Dumpty wont be put back together again. I will save the handle it was joy compared to plastic just from the shape. Some oval mirror frames we made in school could also be toilet seats just about,. Then there are the newer long toilet seats that are on the totos ive put in. Pretty nice Toto Clayton likely discontinnued but they are nicely designed. Likely from manufacturers they lean on plastic as its easy to clean. I notice how nice the tops are new scratch free on the claytons and seem to scratch easily from little use. Probably will buff up nice instantly
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-05-2022 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Wooden boats are romantic. Wooden toilet seats are not romantic. Plastic boats have solved many problems. Plastic toilet seats are a very fine use for plastic.
    Now a Mahogany toilet seat! ... count me in!
    Maurice , Thanks for being “all in on a new concept” that might be safer. And I might become even better at comfort than Ralf Nader was at
    scare’in people !

The house we’ve been in for 15+ years had a wooden toilet seat or two. It wasn’t long before the one in the master bath cracked, and would pinch our legs. It was definitely not as cold as a plastic seat, so I shopped for a replacement. I ended up with a bamboo seat that has the same “not-cold” property, and has shown no signs of cracking in well over 10 years now.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I had a business trip to Japan in about ‘00. The hotel had Toto Washlet Bidet toilet seat. It was a revelation for me and upon my return home I bought and installed the 300 model. Heated seat, warm water for wash is pressure adjustable, blow dry, I mean, really, what is not to like. The Covid toilet paper scarcity was no problem here and using less is also good for the septic system. That seat is now over 20 yrs old and shows no sign of deterioration.

House I grew up in had a plastic toilet set installed in 1957. Still fine in 2020. easily double the thickness of modern ones. parents and only sister bath so not abused by four boys.
    I installed plastic soft close seats. Wife loves them since I can. not slam them. I would not go back to regular gravity hinges.
    Bill D

yeah on the soft close, the totos ive put in were elongated bowls and soft close that is a nice feature and so far non have failed unlike the european hardware ive used in my shop.

I know they have tested wood cutting boards and bacteria doesn't do well on wood, BUT the bacteria that comes in human waste is a serious matter. Plastic that withstands bleach based cleaners is the only choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I had a business trip to Japan in about ‘00. The hotel had Toto Washlet Bidet toilet seat. It was a revelation for me and upon my return home I bought and installed the 300 model. Heated seat, warm water for wash is pressure adjustable, blow dry, I mean, really, what is not to like. The Covid toilet paper scarcity was no problem here and using less is also good for the septic system. That seat is now over 20 yrs old and shows no sign of deterioration.
    Thanks , Jack. Curious if it ever says, “I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore “

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    The house we’ve been in for 15+ years had a wooden toilet seat or two. It wasn’t long before the one in the master bath cracked, and would pinch our legs. It was definitely not as cold as a plastic seat, so I shopped for a replacement. I ended up with a bamboo seat that has the same “not-cold” property, and has shown no signs of cracking in well over 10 years now.
    Thanks , Jason . Good to see you again. And ….know that you don’t tolerate “cracked - pots”.