Thread: Kapex repair cost

Kapex repair cost

After 8 years of hobbiest use my Kapex motor did the all too common burnout. Phone calls to Festool only resulted in “send it to us and we will tell you what it costs to repair”. I’m quite sure they have a very good idea of what the costs will be but for legal reasons refuse to divulge them. Has anybody here had their Kapex repaired, out of warranty? If so what were the costs excluding shipping?
    As an aside, I wonder what percentage of units have failed before they did their upgrade?

Does your car mechanic give you a full estimate over the phone? How about AC/heating guy? Festool has no idea if just the brushes are worn out, or a new armature is needed. They give you an number and then you find out it will be twice the estimate, then you go on line and complain about them price gouging. I bent one of the blade washers when a cutoff got jammed up. I bought a part from a supplier and fixed it myself. It was like a $30 part, but I was thrilled it wasn't the shaft that was bent. When we pay that kind of money for a machine, it should be expected that a repair will follow the same pricing schedule.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about that. Tradespeople can give estimates over the phone if it's simple. They can also say "assuming nothing complicated comes up that you aren't describing, the price is this".

At the very least, we can say things like "that tends to be a result of X, but may also be Y or Z. I really need to look at it in person"

Being overly vague is generally a way for someone to get so involved with you so that you are less likely to say no to whatever price I give you.

I mean this is just a motor issue... not that the OP has much choice at this point of where to send it.

Up until the early 90"s we had a Skill service center in Maryland. If you took your saw in for service they checked the serial number and gave you the price to rebuild the tool. They even painted two of my worm drive saws. Those days are sadly long gone.
    The Porter Cable FACTORY service center was the opposite. A couple of weeks to call you with an estimate then still had to order parts then fix the tool. You were lucky to get a 5 or 6 week turn around.

The Kapex motor suddenly went from full rpm to about 50 rpm with a puff of smoke. This is not brushes, this is the typical symptom that owner’s describe
    happening requiring armature replacement etc. Festool knows this and the associated costs, my need is to obtain a ballpark cost before I shell out 150$ plus for shipping it back to them. Since I can’t get this from them I was hoping that someone on SMC might have experienced this problem and the cost of its solution.

I would head over to the Festool Owners Group forum and ask there. I am certain this topic has been discussed a lot and I’m sure someone can provide an estimate.

I agree with Bryan...there's a bigger, more focused audience in the Festool Owners Group forum festollownersgroup dot com and likely folks who have actually sent the machine in for repair. But I can also appreciate the lack of enthusiasm by the service folks for throwing out a number without having the machine on the bench. That's just not unusual, whether it's a power tool or a tractor or an automobile. Some of that is because there are "some customers" who would say, "but you said it would only cost...", etc., even though you (or me) would never personally do that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like a $150-$250 part if you repair it yourself. Obviously it will void the warranty if any remains. Doesn't look to hard.

Use google to search - there is a .pdf on FOG that you can download with all of the steps to replace the armature.

Or send me a PM and I can email you the .pdf.

So, after perusing various sources I concluded that the cost of getting the Kapex repaired is going to be a little north of $600. Shipping being over a third of that provided I find a box of correct size. I’ll do the self repair that Keegan mentions when I have time this winter. In the meantime the new 10” Bosch glide is performing just fine, except that it’s noise level is over 100 db, whereas the Kapex was in the low 90’s.

I would call and ask if they will sell what you need, because unless Festool changed their policy I am not sure they will sell the parts directly to you, if in their opinion it is critical to the operation or safety to the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I would call and ask if they will sell what you need, because unless Festool changed their policy I am not sure they will sell the parts directly to you, if in their opinion it is critical to the operation or safety to the tool.
    This is not accurate !

You can order whatever spares you’d like from either their online portal or calling them directly with part numbers. Additionally, there is at least one other site that deals in spares ( M&M Tools I believe ) but don’t hold me to that.