Thread: 14" Bandsaw Tire

14" Bandsaw Tire

The tire on the top wheel of my 30 year old 14" Jet bandsaw came off while cutting today. I am not sure if I should just put the tire back on or replace both tires. If replace, what kind of replacement should I purchase? Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    IMO you are asking for trouble if you put it back on. I would recommend replacing both tires. I had the upper tire fail on my 14' SAW, coming off in pieces, so I had no choice. The old tires were somewhat flexible, but if you bent them very much they would break. I contacted several suppliers seeking the proper tires for my wheels. The folks at Sulphur Grove tool were the most helpful and had the best price for a pair of new tires. Shipping was prompt and low cost. They fit my wheels exactly. I did a test cut several days after installing the tires and the blade tracked exactly how it had on the old tires.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In employments when a tire came off ,we just glued it back on. Unless it was “cracking up”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    In employments when a tire came off ,we just glued it back on. Unless it was “cracking up”.

I don't think tires on 14" band saws are glued on. I ran a set of Sulphur Grove tires for over 20 years, before they failed. Check Blue Max tires along with Sulphur Grove. I avoid the Carters, as they don't fill out the wheels on my Delta BS.