Thread: 1.25" spindle for Grizzly 1026

1.25" spindle for Grizzly 1026

Hi All,
    Does anyone know of a supplier/source for a 1 1/4" spindle for a Grizzly 1026 shaper?

I've been using bushings on the 1" spindle, but now need to stack a couple 1 1/4" cutters and can't get the right spacing due to the bushings.

Thanks
    Dave

always had bushings to do anything but when you get to two cutters say to make a tennon with a spacer between it can get more complicated. Its too bad there are so many sizes. all my machines are 1 1/4 except the first one I bought and that was a 40 year ago mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    when you get to two cutters say to make a tennon with a spacer between it can get more complicated.
    Exactly where I'm at...

Sounds like you are using top hat bushings. You can get bushings that don’t have the ridge so you can stack cutters
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I am using the top hat or T bushings. Didn't even think of a plain bushing... that might be the ticket

If I'm looking at the right things
    Sleeve Bushing.jpg

There seem to be a lot more sizes in 3/4 to 1 1/4... The only 1" to 1 1/4" I've found so far is 7/16" high, while the 3/4 to 1 1/4 have a range of 1/4 to 1/2 high by 16ths, and then 3/4 and 1 high.

I'll keep looking though

The length of a bushing can be shortened easy enough. It is not critical. Sander. grinder, hacksaw. I would look at bearing bushings or DOM tube for a wider selection.
    Bill D

Dave,

I had a PM26 shaper with a 1" spindle and had similar problems since everything comes in 1". Grizzly does sell a variety of bushings cheaply that will solve your issue.

Example:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/woo...1-1-4-od/w1155

I did have trouble getting perfect fits with bushings and so decided to get rid of the PM26 and get a 1 1/4 spindled shaper instead.

Good luck!

Derek

Thanks Everyone for the replies.

I'm wondering if using one T bushing from the top that would be 11/32 on the sleeve would work with a 1/2" cutter... That would be 5/32nds short, so a whisker over an 1/8" short. It would be a T bushing, 1/2 cutter, 1/2" spacer, 1/2 cutter, and then an 11/32" t bushing on the bottom.

I'm partial (for no particular reason I guess) to Amana cutters, and I have a place I can get a decent discount on them, plus free shipping.

There is a 1 1/4" shaper in the future, but planning a move in the next year or so, so putting it off till then and maybe it can ship straight to the new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Norris View Post
    Hi All,
    Does anyone know of a supplier/source for a 1 1/4" spindle for a Grizzly 1026 shaper?

I've been using bushings on the 1" spindle, but now need to stack a couple 1 1/4" cutters and can't get the right spacing due to the bushings.

Thanks
    Dave
    I have a couple of 1.25" cutters and bearings that I use on my shaper. One of them is the Grizzly Spiral Cutterhead along with the bearing. I also have the long 1" spindle but I've used the 3/4" one at times. I typicaly use a T-Bushing on the top of the bearing, either a T-bushing or long T-bushing on the bottom of the cutter. Between the cutter and bushing I use a Double T-bushing to join the 2 together. Because of the thickness of the bearing, I had to machine one side of the Double T_Bushing down so it wouldn't contact the T-bushing on the top. It's all worked out well for me.
    On a side note, I have read of people that have taken a spindle from another brand of shaper and had the base remachined to fit another brand of shaper, but I don't know which would work with a Grizzly.
    Good luck, hope that helps.