Thread: 5mm Boring Bits - Left Hand vs Right Hand

5mm Boring Bits - Left Hand vs Right Hand

Hi I just started using some cabinet software for the CNC and I was thinking I should probably use a brad point boring bit for the 5mm holes instead of a spiral bit. But I see that there are left handed and right handed bits. I'm not sure which one would be correct for this operation. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Josh - I would think the right hand bits would be the best choice assuming your spindle turns clockwise as viewed from the top. In the metal working world, left hand bits are often used for drilling into broken off bolts or studs (assuming the bolt or stud has right hand threads). This way, if the bit happens to stick into the stud, it will sometimes just unscrew it without the need for an easy-out screw extractor. For wood applications, I'm really not sure when one might choose left hand over right hand bits.
    David

Left hand brad point bits (with 10mm D shafts) are used in bulti bit boring machines as they are connected by gears and every other one turns the opposite direction.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Josh - I would think the right hand bits would be the best choice assuming your spindle turns clockwise as viewed from the top. In the metal working world, left hand bits are often used for drilling into broken off bolts or studs (assuming the bolt or stud has right hand threads). This way, if the bit happens to stick into the stud, it will sometimes just unscrew it without the need for an easy-out screw extractor. For wood applications, I'm really not sure when one might choose left hand over right hand bits.
    David
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll order the right handed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Left hand brad point bits (with 10mm D shafts) are used in bulti bit boring machines as they are connected by gears and every other one turns the opposite direction.
    Ok good to know, thanks for the info.

What Gary said, I have a 7 spindle attachment for my Blum machine and it has left and right hand cutters. You could use either, but you would have to remember to use M04 instead of M03 on the left handed bits.... sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600