Thread: I couldn't help myself.

I couldn't help myself.

I had so much fun making my last chair I grabbed scraps from the shop and made another one. This one has skinnier legs and no arms. I'm not thrilled with the aesthetics of this chair, but I built it to be a shop chair, and it's good enough for that. I learned a lot from this build and am looking forward to the next one.IMG_20221002_171251302.jpg

Nice and simple. Certainly good enough for the shop, a weekend cottage or a hunting/fishing cabin.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Looks great for the purpose.

All my chairs have been Adirondack style chairs:

Adirondack Chairs.jpg

One of my goals is to build a rocking chair. Not sure if it should be called Adirockingdack or not.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If anyone has any constructive criticism, or criticism in general, I would be happy to listen. This one didn't quite turn out how I wanted. I think the legs should have been splayed more and maybe the fronts should be closer to the edge?

How consistent are you able to get your leg angles? I’ve only made a couple of stools using tapered mortised legs. I found it really tricky to get the angles consistent, between small errors drilling and reaming mortises and small errors tapering the legs. I decided to cut up one of the stools because it was so wonky. The process definitely seems like it takes a while to get proficient at.

the front legs on yours do look too vertical to me. I think they would look better with more rake and splay. But, if the chair feels stable, it seems perfectly fine for a shop chair. Hope it was a good learning experience.

I purchased the veritas pro tapered reamer and tenon cutter, and that has proven it's weight in gold for chair legs. I have been pretty consistent with angles but it is nice to be able to make slight tweaks with the reamer.

I've been thinking of ways to mock up legs before committing to drilling. I have some wooden hand clamps, and I've been thinking about clamping those to the seat with the legs in them and using that as a way to visualize the angles.

It was a learning experience. I've seen some chairs with a lot of rake and splay and am not a huge fan personally, but I was too conservative on this one for sure

Certainly not criticism, since I’ve only completed one chair, but I was wondering about small amount of rake and splay. Less from a visual perspective and more from a functional one. When you sit in that chair and wiggle around, does it feel tippy? Does the seat extend past where the feet contact the floor?