Thread: Woodmaster 712 Planer Advice

Woodmaster 712 Planer Advice

I'm seeking to upgrade from my lunchbox planer (Delta tp400ls). I found a 2 hp Woodmaster 712 planer locally. Looking at the photos it appears to be in solid condition; e.g. a bit of surface rust. Per the seller, it's in fully working condition with the paperwork (instruction manual). He's the second owner, purchased from a local wood shop. Here's the catch, it's currently set-up for molding work. He does have the drums from the planer and sander option however I'll need to pickup the left and right taper shafts (~ $180) as he didn't receive them when he bought it. I'll need to rent a U-Haul trailer to pick-up (60 miles away) but other than that pretty straightforward. Ultimately I'd like to add a helical cutter but as is I believe this is a step up in quality and sound from my current planer.

He's asking $550 and is willing to toss in some nice kiln dried walnut lumber to make-up for the cost of the taper shafts. Given the cost of U-Haul rental, the missing parts, etc. does this sound reasonable? Thoughts? Advice?
    Last edited by Brandon Antoniewicz; 09-29-2022 at 3:38 PM.

Make absolutely sure the taper ends and pulley are available. Is the family of who he bought it from still around? $550 seems a little high to me, but nearly as bad as the $1,000 for a spiral head. I would absolutely not put $1,200 in a $550 machine. By the way, that sanding head is pretty useless since there is no feed belt on that machine. The first 6" feeds okay, but then sawdust can build up on the feed rollers a little, and that combined with a little friction on the table and the wood is not going anywhere. Double check the wear on the rubber rollers since doing moulding can wear grooves in the rollers. Personally I would pass replacing a 12" planer with a 12" planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Antoniewicz View Post
    I'm seeking to upgrade from my lunchbox planer (Delta tp400ls). I found a 2 hp Woodmaster 712 planer locally. Looking at the photos it appears to be in solid condition; e.g. a bit of surface rust. Per the seller, it's in fully working condition with the paperwork (instruction manual). He's the second owner, purchased from a local wood shop. Here's the catch, it's currently set-up for molding work. He does have the drums from the planer and sander option however I'll need to pickup the left and right taper shafts (~ $180) as he didn't receive them when he bought it. I'll need to rent a U-Haul trailer to pick-up (60 miles away) but other than that pretty straightforward. Ultimately I'd like to add a helical cutter but as is I believe this is a step up in quality and sound from my current planer.

He's asking $550 and is willing to toss in some nice kiln dried walnut lumber to make-up for the cost of the taper shafts. Given the cost of U-Haul rental, the missing parts, etc. does this sound reasonable? Thoughts? Advice?
    just my $0.02, i've owned a number of wood master machines, and currently use an 18" one for mouldings. i don't think it'll be a big upgrade as a planer. they aren't great planers. if you plan on using it also for moulding and sanding, then it's absolutely worth it. but if only as a planer, i'd question putting your money there.

--- dz

Thanks guys. Planing boards is my primary focus for this. Sanding was a nice to have and molding a non-need. I am a bit nervous purchasing something I know has some missing parts and your thoughts on the helical head investment are noted.

I just came across another option, a Delta 50-785. It's a 15" wide top motor mount style with a 3 hp motor. Price is similar but fully operational (no missing parts) and a few hours closer. Thinking that may be a a better option. Checking to see if a helical head is available but still likely be another $1,000 investment.

I've gotten a few comments regarding upgrading from 12" to 12". More and more thinking it's not a good investment. Upgrading my current Delta tp400ls with a helical head may be my best option for now and the least expensive, $400. If it can reduce the noise is enough for me. I was under the impression that the larger belt motors were significantly quieter than direct drive, regardless of the blade/head type. Noise is primary in my decision maker at this point - trying to keep the peace at home.
    Last edited by Brandon Antoniewicz; 09-30-2022 at 2:18 PM.

I own a Delta 380, which is same basic planer with 2.0 HP motor. I'm second owner, bought it from a friend over 15 years ago. Don't use it much, but it's a hoss!