Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: house wife question

For many foods wrapping closely to reduce air contact prevents drying out. If it is in a baggie I fold it over itself and press down while sealing to reduce the amount of air inside. I suppose that also reduces the number of mold spores in contact with the food.
    The french are known to bury stuff in a tub of fat to reduce air contact.
    When lord nelson died at sea his body was put into a barrel of whiskey to preserve it for the voyage home.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-30-2022 at 12:42 AM.

Hi Mark

thanks for the wisdom. Do have one friend where the wife has been amazing. I was concerned on the marriage thing and she well proved me wrong. Ive told her and huge respect to her as well.

Here is an exact conversation with my 91 plus year old neighbour. I check up on her each day and help with anything on the property. Officially became my mom the night I lost mine. Knew each other and liked each other lots.

Things were a bit out of control juggling a bit too much and she says "you need a wife" I say "mail order Bride from China?" She says "no Philippines" I say "so she is a wife for now then cause im old she transitions into caregiver?" She laughs knowing how many great caregivers are here in homes from the Philippines. Past talking with one neighbour of my parents in the city who is a care giver from the Phillipines she told me that they have a shortage of caregivers over there as so many have come here. Hillarious. Still pondering the wife thing. I hate to rush into things.

Mark I actually dont buy cheese. Do have one chunk of Parmesano regiano that lasts forever grated on salads or odd time spagehtti. Two hunks of cheese showed up here after cutting the neighbours lawn. They gave me a ride on mower a few years ago and i wasnt bright enough to realize that they fooled me into cutting their lawn

ill check the beer thing out though, dont think id be pulled over on the mower unless he was on a horse. Mountie maybe?

posted this one past or only part of it, im old enough to forget stuff and watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO0M_LtkG_0

Using containers takes up too much space.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Not a housewife, don't play one on TV, but I'm the person who cooks all the meals and takes care of all the food in our home. I personally prefer to wrap unless the food product is going into an airtight container, such as "real" Tupperware or equivalent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Press'n Seal" seals better than cling wrap for me.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Forgive if this was mentioned, I got to scanning somewhere deep in page one.

What I found at my house is handling the bare cheese is the leading cause of spoilage. When I get a one pound block I wash my hands and cut it into three blocks. Two go into a ziploc bag with the factory packaging removed, and pushed to the back of the fridge. The remaining block gets partially eaten and then the remainder goes into a smaller bag at the front of the fridge. Works for us. I try to be conscious of plastic waste, but I am also aware of food prices.

lots of good info thanks. Seems no matter what the saran wrap thing is still important. On oranges or halves and other stuff I see no reason as they get consumed same day they do fine. The cheese donation is rare I really dont buy it other than the one chunk that is grated over salads. All good. Next thing to figure out is the herbs in the garden Rosemary Tyhme two types of oregano and parsley want them out before it gets too cold so its wash and freeze and likely the bags people mention then suck air out even with a straw. Past I used to put the stuff in glass jars, it freezes and is a bit hard to get out at times. All those herbs grew well this year and really wish there was a green house for year round.

Warren, I've never done this, but I've heard of putting fresh herbs into ice cube trays, and making ice cubes out of them. Just thaw or drop a cube into your dish when needed.

thanks here is maybe a stupid question but how do you actually deal with them? Past when I cut rosemary I left each stem as is and into the bag or jar., Cooking time I either pulled all the little guys off the branch chopped them up then years later just put the whole branch in the stew and took it out when done, All the flavor got in just not the little chopped up guys. basic stuff i know but time to up my monty python chef repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Warren, I've never done this, but I've heard of putting fresh herbs into ice cube trays, and making ice cubes out of them. Just thaw or drop a cube into your dish when needed.
    That would seem to have potential for some very odd tasting drinks.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That would seem to have potential for some very odd tasting drinks.
    Only the first one would be odd.

depend on what Herb you put in.

I have heard the crooks hide the stolen diamond in the ice cube tray in their home freezer. Cops never check it.
    Bill D

I've used Bloxygen (heavier than air argon gas) in opened paint cans to push out air which would cause the paint to skim over/cure. Seems there's similar products for keeping wine in opened bottles from going bad, might work for cheese too. No idea if it's cost effective
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Funny actually says I who just this very afternoon found an unopened package of Stilton Cheese in the large chest freezer with a best if used by date of 2016. Still tasty.