Thread: Needed to resaw...

Needed to resaw...

Had stack of Maple boards..
    Journal Project, stockpiled.JPG
    All at 3/4" thick. Project called for stock at 9/16" and 5/8" thick....no thickness planer in my shop. No, I am NOT going to hand plane THAT much off of 6 boards, so..

Set up the tablesaw to act as a kerf cutter..
    Journal Project, Kerf saw.JPG
    And cut a kerf all the way around each board...did the 9/16" strong first, then shifted the fence to do the 5/8" strong....best face against the fence
    Journal Project, sides.JPGNow, before that was done, these are for the sides of the box, and are the 9/16" parts...they were also ripped down to the 4" width, BEFORE the kerfing...less to resaw. 2 others were left at 6" width...top and bottom panels...Goal was to get the 4 sides of the box resawn first.

Needed a good hand saw...
    Journal Project, old rip saw.JPG
    Had one hanging up, over on the door of the tool cabinet. Disston D8, 28" long, 5-1/2ppi Rip saw..with the fancy handle. The "8" is inside of the "D" in the readable etch.

Bench vise to hold the boards..
    Journal Project, almost there.JPG
    Just follow the kerf down most of the way, then rotate the board, and finish the cut..
    Journal Project, results.JPG
    Careful, it is hard to tell where the other cut stopped...

4 sides...
    Journal Project, needs planed.JPG
    Will need to be planed smooth...then some joinery can begin...I did make an extra 9/16" thick board...just in case one of these has an issue.
    Journal Project, lids.JPG
    As for the 2 lids...they can wait a day...for the next Cardio Workout...

Not too bad?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Steven,

Good job. One of your recent posts of a project showed the same technique of using the table saw to cut a kerf followed by the rip saw. Good technique and something I have the tools to do also. That is one thing I really have appreciated about your posts, and many posts of other members, is the things I have learned from them, and the technique you used to resaw is one of those techniques. I am sure it is technique used by many others, but it was new to me.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-29-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    I resaw on a bandsaw and run the rough edges on a planer. Try it, it works. I have a thickness planer as well as a normal planer.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-09-2022 at 2:54 PM.

Lowell,

Good points as well. However, in my case I don't have a band saw, although hope to have one in the future, but could have access to one now if it really became necessary. I do, however, have a table saw and rip saws, so can go that route.

Eventually the band saw route will probably be the way to go, but that will have to wait until a band saw has a shop to live in. I do have a lunch box thickness planer, bought while on super sale, but it is still in the box also waiting for a shop to live in.

In the mean time I back the car out of the garage, dig out two saw horses and a couple of planks and work on them. It is not an ideal situation, but is a big upgrade from working outside on planks before moving to Edmond. Most of my tools are still boxed up due to space limitations while I work on remodeling. But, working in the garage on my part of the remodel job is workable and it doesn't take too long to get set up in the garage to start working.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-09-2022 at 4:21 PM.

My bandsaw makes more waves in a cut that the Irish Sea has....Not really a saw to use for any resaw work....as for a Thickness planer...all of mine are hand-powered...

Steven, you are not alone.

Until my lunch box planer has a place to live, it will stay boxed up and like you, I will continue to use my hand planes. Fortunately, I don't need to do much thickness work, and most of what I do is minor.

However, if I need to do larger pieces, my table saw is not too bad to dig out and use. My rip saws are quite handy go get to, and I can use the technique you illustrate in your post.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-09-2022 at 4:30 PM.

Steven, I admire your fortitude.

For many years all I had was a tablesaw and bandsaw. The bandsaw was a generic Taiwanese 14” with riser. Still, 6-7” was its limit. There is a big need to use the correct blade along with the correct tension to saw straight.

Sawing a very - VERY - hard Sheoak board. This arrived in roughcut form, and I planed two adjacent sides with hand planes first.

Then it was hand planes again.

It has only been the past 11 years (noting that I am 72) that I have had a good jointer-planer. I did have a lunchbox Delta, but never used it as it was a screamer and there were complaints from the next neighbourhood!

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...icknesser.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-09-2022 at 9:05 PM.

And..that is the real kicker....not everyone has either the space, or the budget for such power tools. The widest my bandsaw can handle is a 1/2" blade...barely.

This was more of a way to show HOW one can do resaw work...without having to buy an expensive power tool. Btw..I am 69 years young. I view the use of my rip and cross cut handsaws as a good Cardio Workout. As for having to plane the boards BEFORE the rip saw.....all I really need is the edges to be jointed square to the face....I can then plane the faces AFTER the rip saw is done. Last resaw I did, was Maple. Have also done this with Ash, and White Oak....enough that the old Disston D8 needed it's teeth sharpened back up last spring....Might be able to do one more Project, before I need to sharpen the saw again...

BTW, that saw is 28" long....and I use almost the entire length during use.....If you buy a long saw, you are expected to use the entire saw. Just have to watch out that you don't pull back too far....as for going forward? That handle will take care of that.....just don't let a finger get between the handle and the board...it WILL leave a mark..DAMHIKT...

I normally work with 1 x 6 boards...as that is what my supplier sells. I try to cross cut to rough length...before the resaw, less work for me to do. Longest board I have resawn was about 6'....best eat yer Wheaties before you head to the shop on those days..

It has been over 10 years since I even owned a 12" planer (Delta 12") and, for some reason..I fail to miss having it....gave it away to a friend of mine, actually...it was on it's 3rd set of knives, I think. Double edged ones, at that...I think he has since bought set #4 recently...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-10-2022 at 1:26 AM.