Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The House That Norm Built - on PBS

It can certainly reabsorb some moisture, but it is not going to behave same way it did before the kiln drying. Architects don’t allow use of
    air dried unless the wood they want can’t be bought any other way. I again recommend the test .

Had there been no Norm Abram: there would be no SawMillCreek.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It can certainly reabsorb some moisture, but it is not going to behave same way it did before the kiln drying. Architects don’t allow use of
    air dried unless the wood they want can’t be bought any other way. I again recommend the test .
    You are the only one stuck on air dried vs kiln dried. Architects don't want air dried because it is not sterlized and can bring bugs into a project.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-03-2022 at 9:32 PM.

Show is on right now in Peoria. Norm doesn't look too good. He's just 73. Edit; he says at the end of the show that he is in good health. Good news.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-03-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You are the only one stuck on air dried vs kiln dried. Architects don't want air dried because it is not sterlized and can bring bugs into a project.
    No, architects are concerned about a number of things . When they draw wide wood paneling for a house in the millions they like to know that
    there will be no problems. One place I had just joined did a lot of panels ,and had a lot of failures. When I told the owner that if he let me do the
    WHOLE JOB I would guarantee that all the panels would have no defects and that I would give $20 to anyone who found an open end on any
    panel. There were about 125 panels ,and some were 8 feet tall. Ball room had 14’ ceilings. 5 million dollar job in 1980. I always use
    “sprung” joints cut on jointer. I posted all of this probably in my first year here.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-04-2022 at 9:53 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Here are some more reasons Architects prefer kiln dried wood:
    Dr. Gene Wengerd, Ph.D of Wood Doctor’s Rx, LLC, says, “kiln-dried logs and timber are better than air-dried products as the moisture content is lower in kiln dried material which means, in turn, that most of the natural shrinkage that will occur in wood as it dries will occur during the drying process rather than after installation. As a result they will be more stable - requiring less caulking and less problems, like doors and windows sticking.”

Other benefits he says is “the material is 10 to 20% lighter than air-dried and 50% lighter than green logs and that the logs are sanitized from mold, mildew, stain fungi and decay fungi (which cause rot), plus insects, their larvae and eggs, are all killed when temperatures exceed 130°F. Furthermore, as these pathogens require water for their daily activity, the drying also eliminates the required moister.”

He also stated that “when wood is heated over 150°F in the kiln, the sap, pitch or resin in the wood that would be liquid at room temperatures is evaporated. The likelihood of seepage of sap after installation is virtually eliminated.”

Another point he made, is that “kiln dried wood is ready for the application of the finish, and that in many cases, the finish itself will penetrate deeper with kiln-dried wood, providing longer lasting finishes.”

What a career. I had no idea his shows had won 19 Emmy awards including the Day Time Emmy for Lifetime Achievement.

Great show!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Show is on right now in Peoria. Norm doesn't look too good. He's just 73. Edit; he says at the end of the show that he is in good health. Good news.
    Norm's lost a lot of weight from the New Yankee Workshop days and I think, unfortunately, when you lose a significant amount of weight you tend to look a little more wrinkly than if your wrinkles are 'filled out'. Cyclists often joke they're race ready when their family asks if they're sick.

Post starts about Norm. Turns into a post about Kiln vs air dry wood.

Not sure how many would admit to it, but not many of us would own a biscuit joiner if not for Norm.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I enjoyed watching the show tonight. I probably have watched hundreds of his shows.

He didn't look well. There are rumors that he has cancer. He's lost a lot of weight.

But, I loved his shows and learned a bunch. And learned that I could do things that otherwise I would have avoided. Like doing a major cabin remodel, doing my own grading calcs and permit, designing and making plans for a house in San Diego County and building it (I used a general contractor but was on site twice a day for 6 months. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I enjoyed watching the show tonight. I probably have watched hundreds of his shows.

He didn't look well. There are rumors that he has cancer. He's lost a lot of weight.
    I do recall some years ago that Norm was having issues with his nasal passages, possibly due to inhaling wood dust for decades. I've never heard or read anything about cancer.

No, architects are concerned about a number of things . When they draw wide wood paneling for a house in the millions they like to know that
    there will be no problems. One place I had just joined did a lot of panels ,and had a lot of failures. When I told the owner that if he let me do the
    WHOLE JOB I would guarantee that all the panels would have no defects and that I would give $20 to anyone who found an open end on any
    panel. There were about 125 panels ,and some were 8 feet tall. Ball room had 14’ ceilings. 5 million dollar job in 1980. I always use
    “sprung” joints cut on jointer. I posted all of this probably in my first year here.
    I get it Mel, you wouldn't agree with me if I said the sun rises in the morning and sets at night. Because I didn't make a list of kiln dried advantages, I was wrong about sterilization?

Richard ,I think it was a good discussion. Slightly different takes on all subjects serve to clarify for the hundreds of men and women who were following ! I am glad to write that
    I enjoyed it, and that I seldom fail to read all posts. I am certain that our small differences helped some readers more fully understand the
    subject.
    Mel

Blog Entries
    Im always amused by the tremendous number of handheld machines Norm has. I swear he has a router for every router bit. I thought it would be fun for him to step over to his fluoroscope to check an old board for nails.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It was a touching, nice tribute to a guy who many of us have watched for many years. Especially on New Yankee Workshop I because aware of techniques I didn't know about. It was a nice positive thing in a world which isn't so positive these days.